Thursday, October 06, 2011

No Coherence, I'm Afraid

Spoiler alert: I did not get laid off today

Oh, I really want more time to blog tonight. I want to get this out of my head, and I also want to pack for the weekend, and I want to watch the Bruins raise the banner and play their opening game. Would that I were triplets tonight.

Briefly, anyway. It wouldn't have been a great day in any case. I started to get a migraine mid-morning, and while the pill I took worked eventually (thank heavens), what that meant is that after I felt briefly even worse, I then felt not so bad, but not great, the rest of the day. And that's before a woman in my department, and another half-dozen people in the company, were let go without warning due to the economy and the company not meeting its goals.

Urg. I hate the idea of someone having a job in the morning and not having one at lunchtime. I was totally flashing back to my sadly frequent recent memories of layoffs. I basically pulled into myself this afternoon, like a turtle that's been poked at. Retreat...

Recently, I received my free-birthday-drink postcard from Starbucks, and I decided to use it for Friday after work, before I hit the road for Grandma's. And starting yesterday, it's been randomly popping into my head, the image of leaving work, stopping at Starbucks, and heading out. I was puzzled at first--I mean, I like the caramel fraps and all, but not usually to the point of daydreaming about them. I thought it over, though, and I came to the conclusion that it's because that's the point when the week, with all the things I have to do to get ready, will be done, and the weekend begins. Of course that turning point is on my mind. Even before the layoffs.

Gotta go, much to do, but my brain will be churning, I know it.

Um ... have a good weekend?

2 comments:

  1. have a great weekend birthday girl and do not think about work worries for a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to know what to say with the job thingy so I'll just say ... I'm thinking of you and hoping for the best all around.

    ReplyDelete