Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Too Old, Too Literal, or Both

I wanted to weep when I saw this on Facebook today:
Then I went to the post office to buy stamps, and I was thinking about how I'm old enough to remember when stamps weren't self-adhesive, you had to lick them and risk a paper cut on your tongue. And in an office, you might have one of these:
So that people doing a lot of mailing didn't have to lick all the stamps.

And then, I went into the post office and learned that, at least to this employee on this day, saying I need a book of stamps leads him to tell me that in books, he only has certain designs...and I had to say that I don't mind if it's a sheet or a book or what. I guess Ms. I'm-Usually-Very-Literal was using "book" of stamps in a more general way.

There weren't any designs that really grabbed me, so I went for the sheet of sports-related images, and couldn't help feeling there was something ... missing.
If they hadn't skipped the hockey puck, I would have been more inclined to give them credit for the cleverness of including a football end-on, where it actually is round. And, look, I know a black circle wouldn't be so visually appealing, but. But. Hockey, you know.
Earlier today, I gave the camera in the tablet conniptions by taking photos of Carlos when he was partly in the sun. It never knows where to focus in that situation.
Either we white-out the part in the sun:
Or black-out the part that isn't.
I find it interesting, how it can't compete with human vision in this.

Finally, in looking at my pictures of Rhinebeck past, I saw this one:
What in the world do you suppose whole roasted fried garlic cloves taste like? I've never had the courage to try. I do like garlic, and I like fried food generally, but together? Should I try it this year?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my God I want to try those garlic cloves so badly. And I want some of the pickles. YUM.

    ReplyDelete