Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Planning Ahead: Rhinebeck

This year is the 8th time (in 9 years) that I will be going to Rhinebeck, which of course is knitters' shorthand for the NY Sheep and Wool Festival, held in Rhinebeck, NY. And it is the second time that I have had the luxury of a cushion weekend between it and Apple Festival; ten years ago, I didn't care if Columbus Day weekend was early or not, but now it makes a big difference in my October.

Over the years, I've done certain things differently:

  • Usually done a weekend trip, but last year just went for the day
  • Usually gone with one or more friends, but went once on my own
  • Stayed in both Hyde Park (south) and Kingston (west)

But every year, it's the yarn, and the knitters, and the Being With My People* that is amazing.
*OK, one subset of My People, anyway.

This year, the different thing is that I'm driving there with one set of friends, and back with another. My friend E and her husband are going up on Friday, which I can't do; I think they're doing the CIA or other stuff that day, then the festival on Saturday and Sunday, returning Sunday night. Meanwhile, my friend N, with her husband and another friend, are driving out Saturday, staying with a friend in the area, and only doing the festival on Saturday.

So, I drive out on Saturday with N et al., to the festival, then we join E and her husband for dinner (I imagine we'll see them during the day, too), and then I have a room at the same hotel they're in, so in the morning, I throw my overnight bag in their car and off we go, for another day at the festival and then the drive home. Perfect! I could, of course, drive myself, and see them all there, but it's more fun to go with others.

And here's a thought: Though I have not yet decided when I will move to Florida, it is possible that it will be before next October. Which would make this the last year of my driving there from Mass. What a weird thought that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment