Tuesday, October 17, 2017

A Few Updates

Update The First:
First of all, I have an update on the vexed question of vacation time that came up and so irritated me last week. I emailed the HR people (who are in the UK but handle the US benefits), and the answer was a very off-handed, oh, yeah, you're right, these things (the info in the employee handbook and on the intranet) (that don't say they are only for the UK) are only for the UK. Here's your employee handbook! Which says you get 10 days. Sucks to be you!

OK, I'm making up that last part. Or inferring it, anyway.

Because, although it is sort of satisfying to get an acknowledgement that I was right, that leaves me where I was last week: having learned that my colleagues in the UK get more than double the vacation time that I get. I wish I didn't know that.

The only part of it that counts as good news, other than the nebulous satisfaction of getting an answer at all, is seeing in print that, after three years, it goes up to 15 days. So, assuming that I stick with the company, that will be mine in less than a year. Something to look forward to.

Update The Second:
As to the knitting project I mentioned yesterday, I have started it, and am thinking of it as "Here I am, swatching," until I decide that I am content with the resulting fabric (I do like it so far, but it's pretty small to be making final decisions). If I decide I want a different fabric, and change needle size, it's not the end of the world. I like knitting. I am knitting. It is good. The yarn is pretty.

Also, at this stage I am increasing every fourth row, which means my advanced four-times-tables are getting a refresher. Is 54 divisible by 4? No? Then not this row.

Not An Update:
I went out to dinner last night with my friend to celebrate my birthday, and we decided to go to the Cheesecake Factory. I don't eat there that often, but for some reason, cheesecake sounded very appealing. I wasn't sure what to order for dinner, aka the pre-cheesecake course, but they had a special that sounded good, chicken parmesan pizza-style, and I decided to try that.

It was so good. So! Good! It was basically somehow a plate-sized disc of chicken (the description says "chopped" but it really wasn't, not that I could tell), lightly breaded, covered with tomato sauce and cheese, then served with spaghetti on top. Interestingly, the chicken part was enough for three meals, while the pasta was, just barely, enough for the one. But I cooked some pasta at lunchtime today, when I ate half the leftovers, and have enough for another meal. Amazing.

And yes, of course the cheesecake was delicious too, and also had plenty of leftovers for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment