Friday, October 27, 2017

The Urge to Purge

Recently, and for no apparent reason*, I felt the desire to go through my files and see what I could get rid of, pre-Florida move. I still don't have a set date for when I'll move (I'm see-sawing in a big way), but I have a 2-drawer file cabinet that was very full, and I knew I wouldn't need to keep everything in it. If the urge to go through that strikes me, I'm going to do it!
*I mean, the idea of getting ready ahead of the move is not a new one, but this was so specific...

And boy, did it need doing. You might look at file folders labeled Optical or Dental and think, why not? But I don't actually need to know what day in 1992 I had a tooth filled, or what I paid for contact lenses in 1994. What a lot of paper into the recycling!

Or the shredder. I'm sure, 15 years ago, that I would have been nonplussed at the idea that having my social security number printed on bills and records could ever be a problem, but in 2017, I'm horrified at how many of them did that. How times change.

1 comment:

  1. I've gotten to the point where, any records I need to keep, I just save them as a pdf file. Digital, man, digital. I hate paper clutter.

    ReplyDelete