Friday, July 08, 2016

Purposefully Trivial

It seems like the world is falling apart, isn't it? I truly can't focus too much of my time or mental energy (such as it is) on all these awful things, or I will end up shivering in bed, unable to do anything. Right now, I need to focus on the truly trivial.

Like how this morning, I was answering what turned out to be a crap call on my cell phone when the home phone rang, with what turned out to be another crap call. Oh, Do Not Call List, I had such faith in you, but no more. (As a note, if you ever call me and get distracted just as I answer, be aware that I will hang up on you after about two seconds of silence. Call back.)

Or how yesterday, reading the Globe on the tablet as I do, I came across this unusual spread.
Do you see how the left-side page has an article that clearly should be on continued over the right-side page, but isn't? If you enlarge the picture, you will see why: this is page C4 and C6, not C5. Page C5 was missing, and all the following pages were thrown off by it.

Mind you, it was in the Globe online, as seen on the computer.
I imagine it was in the printed version as well. Ah, the Globe, continuing to come up with new ways to screw up the app.

Also trivial but annoying: yesterday my drying rack decided to die in the most melodramatic way possible, by collapsing under its not-even-full load of drying socks and underwear, while I was in the room but standing about four feet away from it. It was very startling, and I about had a heart attack, to be honest. I'll be shopping this weekend.

For that, and for knitting needle tips in size US4, which I already have according to my own records, but which I can't find anywhere. As soon as I buy more, they will turn up, so that's my plan.

Now for some positive trivia, or maybe not trivia exactly. Positive things.

Yesterday morning the baby joined me at the desk, since I wouldn't stay in bed with him (to his continual disappointment), and hung out purring for about 20 minutes. It was very nice.
Today I cracked open this box of cookies, in order to eat some of my feelings about the state of the world. They are delicious.
Next, my mail today brought me something I have been waiting for (since April, in fact): Majesty magazine, which is a publication of the Miss World Organisation. I know, what? But look at the cover:
See there, on the left?
Look familiar? Except wait, I've been colorized! Now that's a first. Kind of cool, eh?

Now, I'm off for my crazy Friday night plans, which involve knitting and snacking and this little gem, fresh from the library:
In times like these, who wants to be an adult? I love Bugs Bunny, and if they won't give me an hour or two of Looney Tunes on Saturday mornings, then I will make it happen myself, so there.

Happy weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, trivia was just what I needed as well. The last one was really wild!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, trivia was just what I needed as well. The last one was really wild!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. . . and good find with the Bugs Bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, that picture, the story behind it, and the fact that you are now on a magazine cover is SO NEAT!!!

    ReplyDelete