Friday, March 07, 2014

Undoing.

The bike sock is now around the heel of sock two: wanting to make progress on it is what got me on the bike last night, so that was a good thing. Usually, the knitting is what enables me to stand riding the bike, but if it sometimes gets me on the bike in the first place, that's great too.

Also last night, I pulled out the new sock to work on, and noticed that a few rows back, I messed something up. It could be fixed, but the fact of it made me face what I've been thinking, which is that I may need to use this yarn in a different pattern.

Don't get me wrong, I love the pattern! But the yarn is a heavier weight than what I usually use for socks, which means I won't be able to go by my usual height for the leg without running out somewhere on the foot. I think it would be better if I used this yarn in a toe-up pattern, so I can go as far as the yarn allows without worrying about it, and use the pattern for a yarn I have more of. I didn't rip it last night, but I think I will.

And speaking of reluctantly undoing, I'm returning George. Yeah, I know, it may sound sudden, but I've been thinking about it, or at least, I've been thinking, "I don't want to return him, but." Like with the sock, it's been a reluctance to face it, followed by a seemingly sudden decision. I'm so sorry to give up on him (another failure), but Carlos is just not warming up to him, George is clearly unable to hold back on the in-your-face exuberance, and neither of them is to blame for being who he is, but I can't leave them alone for over a week the way they are now. Nor do I have the confidence that in two weeks, they will have progressed enough.

It's sad to think about, but still I don't think it's the wrong decision. I have to put Carlos ahead of George. The way Carlos edges around these days, looking to see if the coast is clear, huddling in corners, breaks my heart.
He deserves better. And hopefully the rescue people can find a place that suits George better.

I hope. Poor George.

3 comments:

  1. It's not a failure! It's just not a good fit for George, and for Carlos. George needs a house with a kid to run around and roughhouse with. And maybe a dog! I bet he'd have fun with a dog.

    Sometimes pets aren't a good fit, and the only way it would be a failure is if you either ignored the fact that it isn't working, or if you dumped George outside instead of taking him back to the adoption people so he can find another home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww. So sorry to hear but you have to acknowledge what Carlos needs. Maybe the adoption people have a recommendation.

    ReplyDelete