Sunday, January 26, 2014

Yeah, Nervous. But Excited!

Goodness, it's Sunday night already? I mean, the weekend was fine, it didn't feel rushed, but somehow I'm surprised all the same.

I'm trying hard not to be too nervous about tomorrow's phone interview. I mean, if the opportunity goes no further than that, I'll live. I'll be sorry, and just briefly crushed, and then I'll shake it off and keep looking. It's just such a good opportunity, it's hard not to wish. But anyway. Thank you all for the crossed fingers; obviously, I will let you know.

Since it isn't supposed to be quite as cold tomorrow as it was at the end of last week, I'm hoping that the environment at my desk won't be too bad tomorrow. On Friday, I found that when the outside temperatures are in the single digits, the inside temperature at work is such that, with the heater blowing on me (bless it), and while wearing long johns under my jeans, a short-sleeved shirt, a long-sleeved shirt, a sweater, a fleece jacket, and a shawl, I still had to put a hat on at midday because my head was cold. Good lord.

I'm also hoping that I won't cough too much while I'm on the phone, since I'm not sure about talking with a cough drop in my mouth without sounding strange. I'm feeling much better than I was a few weeks ago, but goodness, this last bit of lingering cough is annoying. My mouth is tired of all the cough drops, and after buying more cough syrup on Monday, I stopped again on Thursday in order to get the kind that lasts 12 hours*, as the coughing was waking me in the night when the 4-hour dose wore off. Good grief! I've considered going back to the doctor, but I'm fairly sure there's nothing he can do, and why pay a copay to hear that? May as well spend that money on cough syrup. One of my coworkers told me that last winter, his wife had a cold with a cough that lingered for a few months. How cheerful: thanks for sharing!
*And I'll need more soon if it keeps on.

So! In happier news, the Bruins played yesterday after four days off, and romped to a 6-1 win that was a lot of fun to watch, for a Bruins fan (sorry, Kate; I have been on that side of it). There are two weeks of games before the Olympic break, when five Bruins (Czech, Slovak, Canadian, Finn, and Swede) will be off to Sochi and the rest will be, well, resting.

Q: Why will the Slovakian flag be the highest during the Olympic opening ceremonies?
A: Because Zdeno Chara is the flag bearer. What are the odds that any other flag bearers are six foot nine or taller?

All right. I need to go get on the bike now; I missed last night, having done so much laundry that I felt the stairs counted for something, but I don't want to break the fragile, newly re-established habit.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sending cough-free good thoughts for your phone interview.

    Good for you for getting on the bike last night. It's like flossing - an easy enough habit to stop but a better one to keep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A month? Heh, that's nothing. I've got a chronic cough that I picked up when I was stationed in Germany in 1975. Yep. Almost 40 years. Top that!

    Seriously, the only medicine I've found that knocks the cough right out is Tussionex. Prescription only so you'd need to see a doc.

    ReplyDelete