Monday, July 08, 2013

Improvement is Good

I do feel so cheated when I lose so much of a weekend to a headache. This morning I felt, not 100%, but better, enough to go to work (cautiously)*, and I am honestly pleased that the pain is mostly gone. But still, why couldn't it have been gone Sunday morning, instead of Monday? I lost Saturday night and all of Sunday, including dinner plans with friends, to this blight. As I said to a friend on the topic, "Life with migraines--every plan has an asterisk after it."
*And the day went all right, though I would have liked to leave an hour early. You know you're ready to go when you don't find it funny that the writer used "butter" where he meant "buffer".

In looking back over the past few months, though, I am encouraged to see that I have had fewer headaches, and far fewer of the worst ones. Of the last six weeks, three have been completely headache-free, which is not something I could say since, well, last summer. Seriously. Maybe it's the chiropractor and maybe it isn't, but I'll keep going just the same.

I joke about being sensitive, say that "I'm a delicate flower," but honestly there are times when I feel that I'm much too sensitive to things like ambient noise. I shouldn't be ready to scream at work* because someone is printing (apparently) War and Peace on a printer that goes "ah-whoomp" with every page, while at the same time someone is washing dishes in the sink that doesn't have a real drain, so for every set amount of water, the pump goes "grrrrrrrrrrnnnkk".
*And this wasn't even today, it was last week, with no headache.

And yet. Deep breaths.

It didn't help that at various periods on the same day, someone's car alarm kept going off. BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP! Is there anything more well-meaning and useless than a car alarm? No one ever hears one and thinks, "That car is being stolen, I must do something!" The things may work passively as a deterrent, guiding a would-be-thief to an un-alarmed car, but otherwise all they do is cause grinding of teeth. Agree? Disagree?

All right, if you made it this far, here's an excellent picture from the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. The only thing more useless is the super sensitive ones that go off when anything comes NEAR them! We have several on my street and any time a loud motorcycle comes by it sets them all off. Infuriating!

    ReplyDelete