Friday, July 12, 2013

A Little Grinching, A Little Gladness

You know what's annoying? When you do things right and it still doesn't work. And yes, I do have an example! Two, in fact.

One is just the stupid Globe delivery thing. After I changed my service, they correctly stopped delivering the weekday papers last week, but they have now delivered all five days this week. I called on Tuesday, and they assured me they would contact the local delivery people and stop it, but no, every single day. Who wants to bet it will come again on Monday? Or alternately, NOT come tomorrow or Sunday?

The other is related to the stupid health insurance, and isn't even the biggest snafu related to our new-in-April coverage. I need to get blood tested, and had a heads-up from a coworker that our insurance does not cover it everywhere, it has to be one of their chosen labs. So, OK, from the website, I found (not easily, the website sucks) a lab that would do it--after sorting through prenatal testing labs and drug testing labs and sleep labs, a filter would be nice, guys--and I called them yesterday to confirm that they really do do this kind of testing. The woman told me yes, and even went off to confirm that someone would be there to do it at 8 this morning--it's a fasting test, so I am not mucking about, I'm not good at fasting. I get cranky, and head-achy, in short order. First thing in the morning it is; I'll be there when the doors open.

So, this morning I didn't have my usual coffee, didn't take my vitamins, didn't drink the extra bit of smoothie when I made it, didn't even lick the peanut butter off the knife when I was making a sandwich for lunch. I packed it all in the car and went up there (the lab isn't far from work, which is why I chose that one). I arrived shortly before 8, and sat in the lobby knitting for a few minutes. At 8, the lights came on inside and a woman unlocked the door and came out, and I greeted her and asked if they were opening up? And she said hesitantly that yes, but was I there for a blood test? (I guess they don't get a lot of walk-in traffic...?) Because there wasn't anyone there yet who could draw blood. Should be within the hour, though!

Well, even if I didn't have to get to work, I'm not starving for another hour, especially based on a maybe. We discussed it, and she allowed as how Monday through Thursday were better than Friday, and they actually open at 7, if the door's locked just call and they'll let me in. Un-huh. Excellent. So basically nothing I was told on the phone is right.

I mean, she was nice, and apologetic and all, and it's not like it's her fault, really, but asking me to deal with that kind of irritation on an empty stomach is pushing it, frankly. I'll try again next week, and what I think I'll do is call them at 7 and make sure someone is going to be there before I go through all that again. Because the location is convenient, and going to a lab that the insurance pays for is important, but honestly, people, if you mess with my food intake, it won't be pretty.
In happier news, the Bruins announced today that they signed Bergeron to a contract extension, so that he can in fact retire as a Bruin (not now! maybe in nine years). Whew! I feel kind of like this about it:
I love this guy, and it would have killed some part of the Bruins fan in me if he ever got traded. Which is not technically impossible now, but it's really really unlikely, and that makes me a happy Bruins fan.

Speaking of hockey, I don't know if you're aware of the whole Sharknado thing, but I absolutely loved this Twitter exchange related to it, as seen on Puck Daddy:
Oh, snap!

Now, I haven't ridden the bike yet this evening--yet, yet--but I will. I've been doing laundry (third load in the dryer) and cooking an actual dinner, which means I have some actual dishes to take care of. Then I will bike. Ask me tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment