Thursday, July 18, 2013

Here I Am! Kind of.

When I don't blog on a weeknight, do you just assume it was due to a headache? (Do you even notice that I haven't written, is I suppose the first question, but pass that by for now.) It so often is the reason, after all, and it was indeed the reason yesterday. I woke in the night with it bothering me; when I got up, it was at a manageable level, so I was able to go to work, but by mid-afternoon it was bad enough that I went home. It got worse, but eventually I was able to sleep for a few hours, and woke sometime after 7 feeling fragile but better. I ate some saltines, took it easy, and then went to bed for the night. Today I felt a little morning-after, but all right.

And that's kind of a good thing, because when I saw my boss this morning, she let me know she'd need me to order lunch for today, and also a taxi for some of the people to go to the airport this afternoon. That's a new one for me! Who do I call, will they come ... suddenly ordering pizza seemed less fraught than usual. You can't believe how nervous I got during the day that something would go wrong, that it wouldn't show up or it wouldn't be big enough (there were five of them, plus suitcases). A small chickensh!t part of me wanted to leave before it was supposed to arrive, so I wouldn't have to be there in case anything hit the fan. (Everything worked out fine, of course, at least to the point I know about. The van came early, and the people were ready, so I could heave a sigh of relief in the relative quiet left behind [one person wasn't going with the group, and of course once they were out the door, he was on the phone...]). I wish I didn't worry so, but hey, I suppose that's part of being a detail person, and that trait stands me in good stead professionally as well as other ways, so there we are. As Popeye said, I yam what I yam.

Part of what else I yam is tired. It will be an early night for me, and I may skip the biking as well. Sometimes caution is called for.

*****
I saw something while driving to work Wednesday morning that I had only ever seen in the movies: a car with a set of horns mounted on the grill. Have you ever seen one? Was it a really big car? I'm imagining a Cadillac, like in Smokey and the Bandit.

But wait, it gets stranger, because the car I saw them on was a Prius. A Prius! I just kept looking, and shaking my head.

*****
I received an e-mail today about an awesome blog sponsorship opportunity. Check this out:
My name is Michelle from www._____.com. I was searching for 
bloggers on Google that talk about raising kids and keeping the 
household together while still having time to look stylish despite the 
hectic mom life. Your blog, knit-read-cats-hockey.blogspot.com/ is just 
the kind of voice we need to attract the right kind of people!

You don't know how badly I want to respond and ask them just what drugs they are on, and where I can get some. The filter knew that the e-mail offering me my share of $47.5 million was junk, but somehow the problem with this was less obvious to it (since I'm not a mom, don't have kids, don't keep the household together, and almost never manage to get anywhere close to stylish... other than that...). This part also cracked me up:
We are an online shoe store that carry brands that do not compensate 
fashion over comfort. 
Compensate? Perhaps I should just reply by thanking them for the laugh. There isn't enough humor in my inbox on a daily basis.

1 comment:

  1. I notice when you don't blog! Though I generally just assume you've been commandeered by Carlos.

    ReplyDelete