Friday, May 04, 2012

Cranky and Whiny

Ow.

While I remain, when I think of it, very grateful not to have cancer (and thank you all for the good wishes), there's no denying that, 28+ hours after the event, the continual soreness has worn on me. I actually have a bruise coming up, about where the hand goes over the heart for the pledge of allegiance, as well as a general ache throughout the quadrant. Perhaps someone snuck up on me and punched me in the shoulder blade, armpit, and breast ... that's rather what it feels like.

The effects on my temper have not been good. Combined with the gray, chilly, rainy weather today, nothing has pleased me. I don't want to go anywhere, but I don't want to stay in. I don't want to read, or knit, or watch TV, or throw in a movie. I picked up the second season of Glee from the library yesterday, and I'm just not in the mood. For anything.

I did finish the mitts I was knitting, having last night got them to almost-done before dropping a stitch and losing my temper so spectacularly that it's amazing I stopped myself before breaking a needle, or five. I am moderately pleased with them. They fit well--they're almost snug--and seem like they'll be warm. Have to get someone to take a picture of them on my hands, but for now here they are.
The bamboo pattern in bamboo yarn continues to amuse me.

But then I wandered around Ravelry trying to decide what to knit next. Couldn't find a thing that I wanted to make and had the yarn for (and believe me, I have yarn). Eventually I decided to make another Wingspan, using the Manos yarn my mother found for me, which should make a nice (non-dirt-showing) shawl for a chilly workplace, assuming I end up in another one of those. Why, no, I haven't heard anything from the 2-phone-interview company, why do you ask? I did learn this week, though, that my previous employer had another round of layoffs in March, and both my boss and two of my compatriots were let go, among others. Can't imagine how the remaining editors will get the work done, but perhaps there just isn't that much work left? Don't ask me.

One more note from yesterday, before I went in, when I still had something of a sense of humor. I went to get dressed yesterday and picked a t-shirt that tickled my fancy, given the circumstances.
Forgive the in-the-mirror reversal, but I assume the Gorey-savvy among you will recognize the Gashlycrumb Tinies. (And if you don't, poor thing, what you've missed.) And the back:
I wore it under a long-sleeved layer, yesterday's weather being much like today's, so no more sensitive person would have seen it (you don't want to flash your gravestones around the Breast Care Center), but it made me feel better going in.

Coming out, of course, I had a whole new appreciation for why wounded animals lash out even at those trying to help them, but then you'd probably picked up on that, hadn't you?

2 comments:

  1. That is one stylin' tee, but very thoughtful of you not to "flash" it around. Glad the outcome was good but sorry to hear there's leftover soreness. (That's pretty much right where The Cat steps on me when she walks across the bed at night, so that would be serious OW.) How about putting the Ben & Jerry's carton ON the bruise? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mitts and the bamboo knit. Looking forward to seeing you Sun. Hang in there cranky-pants.

    ReplyDelete