Monday, May 07, 2012

Today In Brief, Yesterday's Lilacs

I just have to start by saying that I'm sure I've made it clear over the years here how much I love babies. Love them, all babies, the end.

But. Today, with my window open, I'm getting a clear view (audibly speaking) of a crying baby across the street. I can't actually see through the tree, but from the proximity and direction of the sound, it seems that someone is sitting with the crying baby on the porch. Baby cries, soothing voice says, "I know, you're tired!" Repeat. And I'm about an inch away from calling out the window, "Hey, here's an idea! If the baby's tired, maybe she should be taking a nap, like in a crib? Instead of hanging out on the porch crying. JUST A THOUGHT."

I know, it sounds harsh. But damn, a crying baby that I can do nothing about? Nails on a blackboard.

This makes me sound quite cross, and actually I've had a good day, but what's a blog for, if not venting small irritants? (At least with the baby, I feel some sympathy. Little yapping dog that never shuts up? Not so much.)

I spent part of the day in Boston. I got a call last week from an employment agency, and went in to meet with them and talk about me. (Fun, right?) I went in early, had lunch, then since it was a really nice day (best weather in a while), I sat in the sunshine in Post Office Square and people-watched, knitting, until time for the interview. (Some city pictures to come, but they're still in the camera for now.) There was live music playing on the other side of the park, and while I was thinking about my employment history and what I'm looking for, as one will before an interview, I realized they were playing "When You Wish Upon a Star". Pretty perfect! I am wishing and hoping a lot these days. The interview went fine, so we'll see if they come up with anything. I still haven't heard anything further from the two-phone-interview company, which is painful but not necessarily a dead end (yet). Waiting is so hard, though.

Yesterday I visited some friends who live in Jamaica Plain, which for you non-locals is either near Boston or part of it or something I don't understand. What I know is that there is no real direct way to get there from where I live, and it took me years of fumbling and bumbling before I learned the way to get there (I am Not Good at city driving). I should say, I learned *a* way to get there, and unfortunately for me on Red Sox game days, it's through Kenmore Square. I did remember to check before I left yesterday, and since the Sox were in fact playing, I tried to go around without much success. I got to a point where I was no longer sure of the best way on my own and tried the GPS, which first tried to send me along Memorial Drive (which was closed for a charity walk) and second really, really wanted to send me through Kenmore, which no, even I know that's not a good idea. It was annoying. On the way home, I took the twice-as-long-mileage way, out route 9 to 128, which I am perfectly comfortable with and doesn't drive me to the edge of frustration.

The day was worth it, though. A good group of friends, celebrating a birthday, and with a nice walk through the Arnold Arboretum next door, to look at the lilacs. They bloomed early this year, so they're already past peak, but they're beautiful still, and smelled so good! I will leave you with their photos (mostly lilacs, but a few other flowers), and be back tomorrow with city pictures and discussion of a Tardis shawl. Tune in!




























Peace, out.

1 comment:

  1. Getting to JP is so much easier on the T -- park at Oak Grove, hop on the Orange Line (provided it's running, that is) and knit until you get there!

    ReplyDelete