Friday, January 07, 2011

Slight Updates (to drugs and job ap)

Ahh, Friday night.

Follow-up to yesterday's whining: I spoke to Miss Thing at the Doctor's office this morning, and the doctor wants me to make an appointment for a physical, which doesn't surprise me, as it's been a while since I had one. I go to the GYN regularly (since he dispenses the magical period-regulating prescription), but the primary-care doctor of late has only been for oops stuff that's come up, like the tendinitis, which even then tends to end with referrals elsewhere.

The doctor thing, you know? I suppose it's natural as I get older, but how many doctors are in my life? I know, this list will only get longer, but jeepers already.

There are the regular doctors:
PCP: general doctor stuff
Dentist: teeth (duh)
Gynecologist: duh
Neurologist: migraines
Ophthalmologist: eyes

There are the doctors I've seen for one thing or another:
Endodontist
Orthopedic Surgeon

Then there are the doctors I should also see, or will see soon:
podiatrist (recurrence of plantar wart on foot)
allergist
rheumatologist (arthritis)
[Edited to add] dermatologist [thanks, Shelly]

Plus I think I'm going to try acupuncture, as a friend recommended the acupuncturist who cured her migraines. May work, may not, but I think it's worth a try. (Anyone been punctured? Happy stories to share?)

As for today, my symptoms were, thankfully, less than yesterday. I took a Benadryl last night, unable to bear the ever-dripping nose, and then was suddenly stricken with exhaustion around 8, and in bed by 8:30. I know I'm tired if lying on the couch watching hockey takes too much effort! I turned the game on to listen to in bed, but fell asleep before it was over (not that I missed much; too bad the team that played for Boston during the first period didn't show up for the rest of the game). And did I ever sleep deeply. Benadryl doesn't usually do that for me, so who knows.

While I'm very glad not to be sneezing my head off today, it's still a relief that, since the appointment I made is for March first*, she sent in a refill on the prescription to cover me until then. Because if my sinuses were that unhappy yesterday, it may come back, and I don't know how I'd survive the next few months if that were the case. Better safe than sorry.

*Physical on the first, jury duty on the third. That's going to be quite a week!

It was kind of weird, making an appointment when I have no idea what I'll be doing then. Working? Hopefully. But I don't know where, I don't know what schedule ... weird. I'm ready for some continuity of employment, here.

Speaking of which, I applied for that job Wednesday night. Although the application had one of those "click here to apply through our website" buttons, it was thankfully NOT one where you then have to re-enter all the information that is already on your resume. Those really annoy me, you know? Is it actually too much to ask that the employer looks at my resume? I mean, I know, they probably all use scanners and search-keyword tools and no actual human is looking, but let's pretend, okay? (On the scale of Luddite to tech whiz, guess which end I'm closer to?)

Anyway, this one was just a portal (if I'm using the word correctly), where you entered name and contact info, then attached your documents: cover letter, resume, and red-lined application (the job listing included errors for the applicant to "catch"; pretty clever way to weed out those who shouldn't be proofreaders, if you ask me). So I sent it all along, and pretty quickly received the auto-response e-mail assuring me that they'd received it, and don't-call-us-we'll-call-you.

And now I wait. Which leads to:

Topic: Fantasy
Sub-Topic: Related to Job Hunting

It's not like I don't know that when I apply for a job, I am not going to hear from them the next day. I know that, a, I'll be lucky to hear back at all, and b, if I hear back, it's probably just an auto-response of "we got ur app, don't call us plz", and c, if I do by chance get more than that, it Absolutely Will Not Be Right Away. (Oh, and d: if I actually get an interview, that doesn't mean anything more than that will happen.)

And yet. Apply for one job, and the next day my heart leaps to check e-mail. And oh, the droop when only the usual messages are there! The Fantasy has me casually looking at e-mail and finding an eager message offering me the job, at a fantastic salary, and asking when I can start. Yes, the Fantasy doesn't even want a mere interview, but jumps the process to get to the good part.

Well, as someone said, if it wasn't for leaping to conclusions, I'd get no exercise at all. Happy Friday night.

3 comments:

  1. Acupuncture is how I quit smoking. I never had a puff on a cigarette after I walked out of the acupuncturist's office. I didn't even want to smoke (except for the temptations offered by Mr. Nicotine in my dreams every night for a year). Started smoking at about age 14 and quit at age 50, on the 30th of Sept. at around 2 p.m. I REALLY believe in acupuncture. Try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been intrigued by acupuncture but have yet to try it.

    Add dermatologist to the list. You need body checked for melanoma!

    I agree, though. I'm not 40 yet and I have 8 different docs? Will that number be 27 by the time I'm 80?

    My hubby has been looking for a new job for the last almost 2 yrs and his biggest pet peeve is the submit your resume, then copy/paste it all in again into their form. DUMB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Acupuncture is good stuff if you go to someone well-studied in it! I don't get to go nearly as often as I should. I tend to fall asleep during it, if that gives you any idea.

    ReplyDelete