Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Random: the Lilies Edition

I had an interesting technical problem at work this week. Starting on Monday, my monitor would spontaneously turn itself off. Black screen, pouf!

Except it wasn't actually off, because the lights on the front were still on. But if I powered the monitor off and on*, un-pouf, back in business. It happened a few times Monday morning, then more often until I decided I'd better ask IT about it.

*Trial and error taught me that. Turned out the mouse and keyboard still worked, I just couldn't tell.

I started to keep track of how often it happened, and Monday afternoon between 3 and 4:30, pouf happened twelve times.

Yesterday, thirty-one times. And today, from 8:30 until the guy brought a new monitor at 11:30, another dozen poufs. So weird!

He switched the monitor for another, and later reported that my old monitor did indeed pouf when set up at his desk, so it wasn't my imagination (not that I really thought it was). I wonder what caused that? Life's little mysteries.

**********
Netflix has given me increased faith in the Postal Service (which is probably misplaced, but there you are). If I can put a disk in the mail on Monday afternoon (4PM pickup), and the next disk is in my mail box on Wednesday? That is two kinds of impressive right there.

***********
I Used to Wear a Watch

In fact, I used to be almost fanatic about it, the kind of person who says they feel naked with one. After I got a cell phone, though (hello, 2002), I gradually wore it less and less. Now I bring one if I'm going on a plane, I try to remember one for going to the movies (for those hopefully rare "how long has this been going on, anyway?" features), and I have one clipped to my work bag (since the phone is sort of buried).

The other day, I realized what I miss most about wearing a wrist watch: the strap mark. Nothing like it for a "I know it's unhealthy, but anyway" tan indicator.

***********
You made it through the blathering! See the pretty lilies!




1 comment:

  1. Monitor issues--there were always loose cords in the school library making them go poof.

    Where did you get a clip-on watch? My mom recently lost the one she had, and they are getting harder and harder to find.

    ReplyDelete