Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I Should Have Named This Blog "Random Items"

Though in a sense, I did

How can this only be Tuesday? I woke up this morning reluctantly, and I wanted to drag myself out of bed by saying, "At least it's Friday," but ha! Not even close.

After I blogged on Sunday, I got the vacuuming done, and something else that I could cross off the list but which escapes me at the moment, and as I was clearing up the kitchen I somehow managed to whack my thumb: you know, the right thumb, the one with the recurring tendinitis problem? The one that I just got treated two weeks ago? Yeah, that one, and I hit it hard. My level of coordination is a special thing.

Anyway, it didn't hit the site of the steroid shot on my wrist, and it hasn't caused that tendinitis kind of pain to return (thank you, thank you to the fates for that much), and in fact it doesn't hurt to move at all, but! (Of course there's a but.) I have a sore-to-the-touch, ever-so-slightly swollen spot at the base of my thumb*, which is kind of freaking me out. It doesn't hurt that much unless I brush it against something (which of course I manage to do frequently), but it's so worrying, that I could have made things worse, and I don't even know what I was doing when I hit it.

*Which, honestly, is so slightly swollen that I can only tell by comparing it closely to the other thumb. It's not even bruised-looking.

************
Some people at work use the stairs but I don't, despite the fact that normally I am a proponent of stairs (especially down) as an easy way to add exercise to the day. But the stairs at work creep me out.

For one thing, there are signs at each entrance that say they're for use in emergencies. Not only have I seen and heard people using them every day, but someone told me that yes, we can take them. However, that sign bothers law-abiding-me a little.

Even worse, though, is the stairs themselves. They're metal, and the sound echoes alarmingly with every step. They just don't sound (or feel) sturdy, and I'm sorry, but I'd rather take the elevator than take those stairs. It's a pity, but I'll get exercise another way.

************
One I finally left my oh-so-annoying last job, I tried hard not to think about it, and if something about it crossed my mind, I firmly banished it. A natural reaction, I think, since I was still so close to it. But now that I am a slight remove, I find that thinking about it, once in a while, is a good thing.

I was walking down the hall at work and something about the old job crossed my mind for no particular reason, and I smiled and thought, That's not my problem anymore. That task is no longer my problem, that person and his long-winded philosophy of the task is not my problem. I never have to talk to that other person again.

************
It's hard for me to associate eating raspberries with virtue. I try to bring fruit to lunch every day. I like apples, for instance. But I never have one because I find myself craving it, and I don't mmm as I bite into it. I pretty much eat it because it's fruit, and fruit is good for me.

Raspberries, though? Are delightful.

1 comment:

  1. oh man, i know what you mean about bad last jobs. i've had a couple that fell into that category.

    i worked retail at a chain store in a mall. i hated that job so much that, after i left, i was unable to go into that particular mall without feeling ill and was completely unable to go into the old store itself at all. i never really like malls to begin with and don't spend too much time there so it wasn't hard to stay away. it really took me a couple of years to even be able to just walk through that old store. man i hated that job.

    the next job i got ended up being the other job that was so awful it took me time to just deal with thinking about it. funny enough, that second job was also the one where i had the best boss ever. i ended up leaving that one and found out from others still working there that the situation had pretty much spiraled down even more after i left. my "best boss ever" ended up retiring on a medical issue - that damn place actually gave him a heart attack. wow. it's been more than 15 years since i left that place it it *still* gets me clutched up thinking about it.

    fortunately after that i've had a series of good, meh, and really good jobs since then. that place gave me base skills to get my next job which i really liked and only left it because we moved from texas to maryland. too much of a commute ;)

    my goal during each step was to better my last position in some way and that doesn't always mean monetarily. it's actually worked out really well.

    from there to here it's been a series of step ups to, hopefully, the last job i'll have for a long time. don't see looking for another one any time soon. see? it *can* get better.

    ReplyDelete