Sunday, January 17, 2010

Tired Sunday Night

Sunday report:
  • bought groceries
  • read the paper
  • six loads of laundry, washed dried and put away (except for a few items air-drying)
  • unloaded the dishwasher
  • did hand dishes
  • made chili
There! The only other thing I really want to do is vacuum, and Miri's been on the couch all afternoon, so I'm waiting to see if she's ever going to move, so I don't scare her (more than usual). Not a bad day, and no wonder I'm tired. Though that also has to do with how late I was up (very).

I was actually baby-sitting last night, not for my friend's twins, but for another friend of hers, who has a little girl just older than the twins (so around two and a half or more). I hadn't met them before, so I went over a bit early, in order to spend some time with little M while her parents were still there. She was initially shy, but agreed to show me her toys, and we spent at least half an hour in perfect peace, with her showing me one toy or stuffed animal after another.

She was even okay when her parents left the house, but about ten minutes later, it seemed to hit her that she'd been left with this strange person, not her mother (anyone else remember that old TV show with the baby who called everyone but his mother "not the mama"?), who felt she could take extreme liberties like wiping hummus off her fingers as if she had any right!

She started howling out of the blue, finally saying why ("I want my mommy"), and when nothing I offered (food, toys) got any response but no, I said that I was going to go finish my dinner, and she should let me know if she wanted anything.

I left her sitting, the picture of stubborn, on her bedroom floor, and when I checked back a few minutes later, she was fast asleep. At 6:15! (Her mother did tell me she'd been up very late the night before, so I wasn't actually worried.) I left her there for a little while, thinking she might wake up, before deciding that I simply couldn't leave her, fully clothed and asleep on her floor, so I went in and started getting her pajamas ready. She woke up, and started crying again immediately.

It took about half an hour to get her back to sleep, talking and patting her back and singing, but she finally did. I felt very bad that she hadn't eaten anything more, but force-feeding didn't seem like a good idea either. (Her parents weren't too upset, so I guess it's not out of the ordinary.) Still, I think I find babies easier than toddlers, in general.

Anyway, it wasn't really a bad night, but it was late, and I'm not good at getting home and going right to bed, preferring to wind down a bit first, so, well, yeah. Kind of tired today. But this morning I put in an application to the rescue group for the cat I showed you yesterday, so we'll see!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting night you had with the tot. Tiredness really does a number on kids. (And I had a friend who loved that "Not the Mama" show!)

    Ohhhhh, orange kitties. . . there are two at my parents' house and they are full of personality! (Purr-sonality?) Best wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck! But do not be guilted into taking anybody!!! This time, it's about you, not about "saving" a kitty.

    ReplyDelete