Monday, January 04, 2010

Can You Hear That?

Part 1: Did I tell you? MP3!

Yes, Santa brought me an MP3 player for Christmas, thank you Santa!

That is one funky reflection in the lower left!

I was a little intimidated by it at first, since they were so sure it was intuitive that there is no manual, just a little folded quick-start card that did not hold my hand nearly enough. My brother helped a bit, but we didn't really have time to sit down and make sense of it.

Yesterday, though, I talked to my friend Google and found that there is a manual, online, and that helped a lot. And my friend Google also helped me make it stop already with trying to put every photo on the computer onto it when I tried to "sync" it, which would surely kill it flat dead, considering that my photos (finally backed up, yay me) currently fill three little thumb drives, an 8GB, a 4GB, and a 2GB, and I need to get another one because I'm only backed up through November, oh woe. So no I don't want them all on the MP3 player stop it stop it!

Yes, I get a little emotional. Also silly, unless everyone gives their MP3 player a rap name? But seriously, I keep looking at it upside down, and you tell me:


Isn't D-SUDS a good name for it? Not that I will remember to call it that, but it amuses me mightily. (I am so middle-aged white girl.)

So first, I downloaded a song to it, then cleared off all the dreck it came with that I didn't even recognize (well, except Beethoven, I have heard of him). Then I loaded a podcast! Which meant that today, when I was doing something mindless at work, I was trying not to laugh out loud to the latest Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. And after I listened to the song (singular) a few times, I discovered that it gets radio: who knew? Not I, but that was fun, too.

Tonight, before going to the dentist, I loaded a few CDs that I got for Christmas onto it via the computer, and it worked! The music was a fine distraction as I got drilled, too. So when I got back, I loaded a bunch more. Is this an eclectic bunch?
  • The Fray: How to save a life
  • Shrek soundtrack
  • Spin Doctors, Pocket full of Kryptonite (only the three songs I love)
  • Weezer (the blue cover one)
  • Amadeus soundtrack
It says I have 6.9GB left. That's a fair lot, isn't it? New toy, new toy. My next goal is playlists.

The Biggest Loser

There was a biggest loser competition at work last year, which I chose not to participate in. For those who aren't familiar with such things, you kick in some money ($20, in this case) and get weighed at the beginning and end of the time period. The person who loses the largest % of weight wins, and gets 80% of the money, with second place getting the remaining 20%. Last year's winner won a considerable sum.

There's going to be another this year, and I (again) wasn't planning to play along. In part because I hope to be at another company before the end of March, I hope I hope. And because I have no willpower, and eating feels good. Because I love chocolate, and candy, and ice cream.

But I am reconsidering, in part because the CEO is doubling the money and adding a week's vacation, which makes it a considerable prize, and because I'm sick of not fitting into clothes, and of getting winded climbing stairs. I gained a lot last year (see: stress eater), and I would like to lose some. And what got me thinking seriously was this line in the e-mail: "If that doesn’t give you motivation I don’t know what will!"

And you know, I don't know what will, either. Maybe this reward is the goal I need to motivate myself to shut my mouth and start moving.

I think maybe.

3 comments:

  1. I first got an iPod thingy I loaded it up with all my favs and worethe batteries down constantly, enjoying the music clipped to my pants pocket as I moved throughout my day...not the 'work' part of day because there is no head room for music for 99% of my work day and turning it on just when I went to the bathroom was... um... well it didn't happen.

    Since that initial rush, I have been very bad in updating it or even using it. (sigh)

    As for the weight loss thing? Money is nice, but the real motivator this year for me is that I am tired of being tired. Fitness is supposed to 'fix' that. If only it didn't take so damn much energy! (and having a head cold is seriously a demotivator!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, a new toy! And it gets radio? Wow. You're gonna have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you know, just enter and give it a try. We did that in my office once, and I signed up and ended up just giving up half way through. And guess what--that was fine. No one said anything. And I lost $20, but so what? I say go for it.

    ReplyDelete