Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Would you say something?

Have you ever been talking to someone who uses a word that clearly isn't the word they mean? Do you correct them, or let it go?

I called Comcast, provider of my cable TV, Internet, and land-line phone service, to see if I could cut anything I can stand to do without in order to lower my bill. (You can have my high-speed Internet when you tear it out of my cold dead hands, but do I really need a land line?) It turns out, of course, that because I have the three services in "bundled" pricing, it is actually $10 cheaper to have all three than it would be to cut the phone and pay a la carte for Internet and cable. Weird world, eh?

But when the oh-so-sympathetic while-not-giving-an-inch woman was regaling me with stories about how she gave up her land line once and then went back and here's why, she said that she got her "cell" phone again, when clearly in context it was home phone, or land line. And when I brought up all the Verizon ads I've seen and how much cheaper their deal is, she told me that Comcast and Verizon are actually quite compatible, when I'm pretty sure she meant comparable. From the ads, it doesn't sound like they get along at all.

For the record, by the way, I didn't correct her in either case. I got her drift, so I let it go. In a conversation with a friend, or if I wasn't sure of the gist, I would have asked.

The NHL trading deadline* has come and gone, and the Bruins made a couple of smaller moves but nothing earth-shattering. I'm pleased that they didn't crack the core of the team, as that sort of thing can wreak havoc on team chemistry, and the current team has enough of an issue without asking for trouble. What is with this slide lately, anyway? I thought they were past the worst once they had those 6-1 and 6-0 victories last week, but last night's game was pathetic. Snap out of it already, guys! The best part of watching for most of this season has been the refreshing feeling that even if you fall behind, you'll find a way to come back and make it happen. Don't take that away from me!

*Some of my favorite reading on the subject has been on Puck Daddy, which calls this time of year Hockey Rumors Christmas, and which live blogged for many hours today. It's nice to see something done so thoroughly.

Since I started blogging, I've drawn a line about what I will share about work. I don't feel that, for me, being too specific is a good thing, so I lean to the vague. It's not usually a problem, but now there are Things Happening at work, not necessarily bad at least for now, but Unsettling, and I'd kind of like to talk about it, but I think I'd best not. If you have some good vibes to send my way, that things Settle Down Again, I would appreciate it. And I guess I'll leave that there.

Oh, look, the first photo I ever posted! Of the cats, of course. Begin as you mean to go on. I always liked that picture. And the second photo: cat with knitting. You know, the name of my blog may not be the best out there, but you can't say it isn't descriptive. Speaking of which, I do still want to write about the books I read in February: there were some good ones! I'll try to get to that tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Re words: Unless it's crucial to the conversation, or an old friend, I usually let it pass. It's like the whole apostrophe-enhanced-it's-a-possessive-not-a-contraction-you-waterhead situation; I wince every time, but really, I think we lost that one a while back. I did correct a friend, gently, who was calling his long chatty news-filled group emails "my blog", though.

    And may the unsettledness settle, & soon, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grandson of the other woman at work had "ammonia" recently and "stood" three days in the hospital.

    I'll send good thoughts eastward that your position remains secure, settled and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was seriously considering emailing one of the news stations to let them know their headline of "Less Kids Living With High Lead Levels" should have read "FEWER kids." I think it's probably best I limit my interaction with the masses.

    Good vibes for the work situation heading your way.

    ReplyDelete