Thursday, March 26, 2009

Cats and Socks and Hockey

I said it many times with Pan, and I'll say it now with Harold: thank heavens for Pill Pockets.

Instead of essentially mugging Harold, wrapping him in a towel, restraining him forcibly, and shoving a pill down his throat, I'm asking him if he wants a treat, and watching him gobble it down and ask for more. He doesn't seem to realize that after years of getting the creamy peanut butter, he's getting the crunchy now. I always suspected that if his treat had a pill in it, he would do what my brother's cat did, eating the treat and spitting out the pill, but not so far, anyway.

And, in a plus ça change moment, while I used to give Pan meds and Harold treats, now I'm giving Harold meds and Miri treats. She likes Pill Pockets, too! They're softer than her usual treats, so she has a little trouble keeping hold of them, but she manages, and looks for more.

Now, a few things that I forgot to mention on Tuesday. First, I am a confirmed knitter now: when the dentist told me how much the crown would cost (and insurance covers only half), I found myself thinking about how much yarn that would buy, or rather would have bought.

In further knitting news, thanks mostly to all the appointments on Tuesday, I almost finished the sock, and today at lunch I did! It's very exciting, considering that I started the pair in October! (And the Yarn Harlot whacks out a pair in a weekend. Humbling.) I will weave in the end and photo and post more in future, but I wanted to mention the feat, at least.

In hockey thoughts, the Bruins haven't played in forever ... well, since Sunday, but five days, that's the longest break they've had all season (tied with the All-Star break). Plus, they play most Thursdays, so it feels weird for Thursday night to not have a hockey game. The regular season doesn't last much longer, and though they are, for once, in the playoffs no question, I don't rule out that they could tank in the first round. I hope they won't, and I don't actually believe that they will ... but they could, and that's the thing about the playoffs, isn't it? You can only lose so much before you're picking up the golf clubs. So I worry.

I don't know if any of you (darling, cherished) readers are hockey fans, but if you are, holy crow here is a great laugh. They've done a top ten video of goalies going crazy, and I laughed so hard I'm almost crying.



It's hysterical! And the announcers generally sound like they're on the verge of wetting their pants with the excitement, too. Goalies rarely fight, but they are known for their special brand of crazy, plus if one goalie gets involved in a fight, the other one is usually not far behind (to even the numbers). I wouldn't recommend watching if you don't believe fighting belongs in hockey, but otherwise, well, two thumbs up.

I believe that's all for now. Later!

1 comment:

  1. I don't watch much hockey--that's pretty crazy. Encouragement from the announcers much?

    ReplyDelete