Thursday, March 19, 2009

The neverending knitting vortex.

At my stitch and bitch Monday night, I was working on the baby blanket for my cousin, and taking the opportunity to bitch about it a little. I still think it's going to be a fun blanket, and I believe she'll like it, but the knitting of it has been a bit of a slog for me. I'm not good at juggling the two circulars, and the stripes mean color changes mean ends to weave in, and the purling has been far more effortful than the knitting.

Also, I don't seem to be temperamentally suited to working on items where the rows/rounds get bigger, rather than smaller (or staying the same). I find it wearing. At this point, nearing the end*, knit rounds take about 20 minutes, and purl rounds about 22, and they just keep getting bigger. I don't find that as enchanting as I did at first.

*The end, in this case, being determined by when the yarn runs out. I believe I am on my last stripe, and though there's still plenty to do on it, that's kind of exciting.

So I set myself a challenge. In three weeks, I go to my grandmother's for Easter. I would like to have the blanket done by then, so that I can show it to her before sending it to the baby. There are at least a dozen rounds to do before I can call it done, which is something like four hours of knitting (though if I tried to do it all in a row, I think my wrists would fall off; it's a little cumbersome). That's do-able.

Sorry for the no pictures, by the way. Now that it's bigger than the circumference of the needles, it's hard to get an accurate picture. As is, it looks kind of like a hammock, or sling, rather than a blanket. I can't wait to see it done and off the needles myself! Though how I'm going to block it ... I've never blocked anything this big. Well, I have some time to think about the logistics.

No comments:

Post a Comment