Wednesday, March 11, 2009

In this economy

I had a haircut last night, and my hairdresser was saying that, in terms of her clients' emotional state, things haven't been worse in the the 30+ years she's been in business. Everyone is worried, at the least, and she admitted she finds it wearing by the end of the day. I can understand that, I said: everyone knows at least one person who's been laid off, and just about everyone is worried it will happen to them (if it hasn't already).

I was thinking about it, and it seems to me that there are four groups here:

a) You have been laid off.
b) You have survived a layoff but worry about another (and about those who you used to work with).
c) You know someone who has been laid off.
d) You know someone who's been through a layoff but is worried about the next one.

Did I miss anything, or do you think that covers it?

For me, it's a, c, and d. (I know at least 4 people who've been laid off recently, and that's just off the top of my head.) What about you?

3 comments:

  1. Well, I am in category A right now, and also C. But hey, the stocks shot up yesterday, right? Right???

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot
    E - those of us who are worried about being laid off or having our hours cut and
    F - those who know people who have had their hours cut

    Count me for E and F

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to add a category G (we are now getting into hurricane-naming conventions so I will call it category Gloria - remembering the woman who took major revenge on the mob after taking all sorts of shit beforehand--at least, I think that was the movie theme... but I digress...)

    G - Those who have survived and are so worried about being laid-off that they put up with outrageous extra unpaid hours and intrusions into family/home time to avoid the axe.

    Yup. That would be me. Not proud of it, but the choices are rather slim at the moment.

    ReplyDelete