Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Home early again, with a new theory

This may sound a little crazy, but stay with me here: I think my working overtime is, literally, an affront to nature.

What?! you say. Well, the mandatory OT started two weeks ago, but due to the snowstorm and early release on that Friday, I ended up working the same amount of hours I had worked in previous weeks, just in four and a half days, instead of five.

Last week, of course, I was not working (ahhh). This week, I worked 10 hours Monday and ten more on Tuesday, but today was released at noon due to the snowstorm. (Are you sensing a theme? Honestly, why do I live here?) So, I worked three days' worth of hours in two and a half days.

Who knows what will happen on Friday (forecast: more snow; no, seriously), but even with the limited sample size, it's an interesting trend. Do you see what I mean?

Mother Nature sends snow when I have worked enough hours. I would almost be grateful ... kind of ... except ... well, it is a classic example of a mixed blessing, isn't it?

At any rate, it is good to be safe and warm at home. It did take an hour to get here, but really it wasn't too bad. Last year's fiasco is still on my mind at times like this, and it was nothing like that bad. Just slow, and a little slippery.

Unnecessarily wintery, though, in my opinion. As I made clear last year (and more than once), I don't appreciate snow in the way that one who lives here should.

And, as we used to say when I was a kid, "That and sixty cents will get you on the T." (These days, riding the T is more like $2. I'm turning into an old fart.)

So, shall we talk about something else?

For instance, Harold reads the Globe, too.


I feel better if I have someone to ask, Did you read that article?

And, I still love seashells:


Plus, nature can be really neat, sometimes.


Those are marks on the sidewalk from leaves.

Or, say, why I read blogs? Sometimes, it's a laugh when I need one:
Disneyland has a first aid center that will happily dole out aspirin if you walk in and ask for it. They will inquire if you have a headache and you will have to exercise restraint and refrain from saying, no, I was just wondering.
Sometimes, it's to share in someone's sorrow, or even better, their joy:
...my cell phone rang. It was our agency, calling to tell us that a baby girl had been born the day before. On Sunday. The Solstice.
Her parents can sign off on her tomorrow,” the agent told me, “and if they do, she’s yours."
Random things for a day that feels like Friday, or like a snow day when you were a kid.

Harold has been napping under the couch blanket, so I could try to get a few things done without him begging for a lap. There's an adoption event at a pet store this weekend, which I think I'll go to. Petfinder.com is really something, but how do you pick one? Just one cat out of hundreds and thousands and millions? Okay, I can rule out the "should be an only cat" ones, but there are so many! I think I need to meet some in person. I have to get going, though, Harold really, really needs more people to love. He is so lonely! My poor little guy. I'm working on it!

My league-leading* Bruins don't play tonight, but the game last night was fun, and there's another tomorrow. Plus, tomorrow I can sleep late, which is never a bad thing. It makes me smile just to think of it.

*They're tied with San Jose. The Bruins won Sunday and moved into the tie. SJ won Monday and went ahead. The Bruins won last night and moved back into the tie. Will SJ win tonight and go ahead? Probably, but stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you find a good playmate for Harold! The thought had just occurred to me that it might be time for a kitten in your household.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete