Monday, December 15, 2008

Grumpy and Grinchy and Hockey

I am not a happy person right now. It's 50% normal (irritating) Mondayness, and 50% surprise at work, not the good kind, and I'm cranky. Grumpy. Tired!

So, yes, it's time for random Bruins musings from what's left of my brain. How about these Bruins, eh? Second in the league? Seriously? Wow. It's so wonderful to watch them without the feeling of impending doom. In recent years, even when they were ahead in a game, I would catch myself thinking, How will they screw up this one? This year, even if they let the other team take the lead, I have some confidence that they will come back. It's fun.

In a recent game against Tampa, the Bruins saw Paul Szczechura score his first NHL goal. Anyone want to take a crack at pronouncing that? Bruins announcer Jack Edwards took to calling him "eye chart", and I really can't blame him. There are names in the NHL that sorely test the announcers, but that one takes the cake.

In good news for Bruins fans who were English majors (anyone?), Kathryn Tappen of NESN was heard recently Not making a mistake she has been making constantly this season. She would always say, "...join Barry and I after the game..."

No! If Barry goes home sick (nothing personal, Barry), would you say "...join I after the game..."? No, you would not. Get it right. "Join Barry and me after the game" is correct. There is nothing wrong with the word "me" in that usage. "Barry and I will be in the studio" is also correct. (I don't know where some people got the idea that "and me" is always wrong, while "and I" is always right. It depends!)

Anyway, as you can tell this raises my blood pressure, and it seems she finally heard me yelling at the TV as I reached for the remote to mute her. Over the weekend, I clearly heard an instance of, "Join Gord and me", and I almost cheered.

The Bruins are off until Thursday. Some weeks they play four games, some they play two. I can't imagine how complex it is to create a schedule for 30 teams playing 82 games, but still, it seems odd to me.

1 comment:

  1. Please don't forget the improper use of the reflexive, as in "Join Barry and myself after the game." Me is just ignorant, myself is putting on airs. Oh yes, this one's MY hot button.

    I hope the surprise at work doesn't take all the bloom off the rose for you. Remember the nice vacation time and increase in pay -- we got a whopping ZERO per-cent this year. Does that make you feel better?

    ReplyDelete