Saturday, December 20, 2008

Stormy weather

I have never claimed to understand the weather, but I truly do not get how it can have been snowing all day, but not accumulating. I cleared off my car this morning around 10*, and I can still see through the windshield (from here). It's not that it's been snowing hard ... but where is it going? It falls from the sky and then, just before it would hit the ground, it's sucked back into the space-time continuum? Well, perhaps not. And it's not like I want more; we got enough yesterday to suit me until May. Still, it strikes me as odd.

*In order to move the car so the plow guy could get as much out as he can. The idea made me rather grumpy, since I didn't have to go anywhere, but once I settled down, it made sense. Though having a car with a temperature display is a mixed blessing. It was 14 degrees! Brrr. Right now, the weather site says it's 17, and feels like 4. By my parents, it's 72 (and feels like 72).

Meanwhile, we have more crapola coming tomorrow. I don't want to bitch too much, though, since the current prognosis is that it will be tomorrow and not Monday, so perhaps my flying experience will not suck as much this time. I just checked the forecast, and was amused by the warning in several ways.

... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 10 PM EST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 10 PM EST SUNDAY.

THIS ADVISORY INCLUDES BOSTON AND THE NORTH SHORE... AS WELL AS WESTERN NORFOLK AND SOUTHEAST MIDDLESEX COUNTIES.

SNOW WILL DEVELOP ACROSS THE AREA EARLY SUNDAY MORNING... WITH OCCASIONAL HEAVY SNOW POSSIBLE DURING MIDDAY AND AFTERNOON. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL AVERAGE 3 TO 5 INCHES. THE SNOW MAY MIX AT TIMES WITH RAIN BEFORE TAPERING TO FLURRIES SUNDAY EVENING.

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS ISSUED WHEN SNOW AND/OR ICE IS FORECAST TO DEVELOP IN THE AFFECTED AREAS... BUT ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO BE LIGHT. ANY SNOW OR ICE WOULD MAKE DRIVING AND WALKING DIFFICULT... BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE... ON UNTREATED ROADWAYS AND SIDEWALKS. WHEN TEMPERATURES ARE BELOW FREEZING... MOTORISTS NEED TO BE ESPECIALLY CAREFUL ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES WHERE SLIPPERY SPOTS CAN EASILY DEVELOP.

Like that? Do you see how driving on the sidewalks will be difficult but not impossible? Good to know.

Also, "occasional" is a word that always looks spelled wrong to me. Doesn't matter how it's spelled. I always want to spell it "ocassional", though I do know that's wrong as soon as I see it. But even right, it looks wrong.

I thought you would want to know that about me.

I'm feeling kind of grumpy now, for no particular reason. I have been getting Things done today, which is good, and should buoy my mood. But there we are, moods ... they're moody.

If I'm going to be grumpy, I may as well go get more done. I've sent very few of my Christmas cards so far this year. Doing more now may make me feel better, and it may make me feel worse. (The last two years, I've sent photo cards of the cats. The memory is making the process less than fun this year.) I think I'll try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment