Thursday, December 11, 2008

More Alphabet, and cat thoughts


Following up on the recent letter-of-the-alphabet post, I am (finally) assigning letters.

Auntiemichal, A is all yours!

Stacey, you get B! (Enjoy it: I did!)

Suzanne, C is for you!

Leslie, Jess, and anyone else, if you want a letter, just let me know, or claim it in the comments. I doubt I have enough readers to run out of letters, so why not have fun? It doesn't matter if it goes anywhere, and I really did enjoy doing it, after a blank moment at the beginning when I thought, B? B?? What starts with B?

In other news, I haven't committed to anything yet, but I am more and more of the opinion that Harold needs a friend. The reason I got two cats at the time was so that they'd be company for each other, and I think Harold is lonely. He is all over me from the moment I open the door, and can't get enough lap-lovin'-attention. Given that my schedule does not permit 24/7 kitty maintenance, I'm starting to think that after Christmas, I'll be cat shopping.

Do they come with a return policy? I have to make sure the new one gets along with Harold. Any advice?

3 comments:

  1. Contact some local rescue groups. I assume you want to adopt an adult cat, which is great because the group will have a better idea of an older cat's personality and temperament. Above all, rescue groups want the cat to be happy, so they will be more than willing to work with you if a cat isn't a good fit. Alternately, you could look into acting as a foster mother for a bit to see if Harold really does want company. Fosters generally get first adoption rights, too, if you fall for a kitty. Hope that helps! I really feel for both you and Harold in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Eliza - Harold probably would be better off with an adult cat than a kitten. Try http://www.petfinder.com/shelters.html You may find your own town's shelter listed here - I know our nearest animal control is. And they will, indeed, work with you to get a good fit.

    No matter what you do, be prepared for some rough days though - pecking orders need to be established and sharing you and the entire apartment worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom once adopted a cat from the Humane Society, and was able to return it when after a month it still attacked her other cats. I'm sure you'll find someplace with a similar policy.

    ReplyDelete