Thursday, May 09, 2024

Turn That Frown Around

I promise, I am not turning into Pollyanna, but as an experiment, I want to see if I can find the bright side of a few things.

  • My foot is still sore, and with my trip coming up in two weeks, that's a bit worrisome for my traveling comfort. However, I am getting to do a fun trip, and this won't stop me! I've got an ace bandage to support it, and a cane to help me balance and warn people that I'm moving more slowly, and I will get there, and I will have fun! I've started to put together "what to pack" thoughts and "what needs to be done before the trip" thoughts as well.
    • Fun fact about the cane: I was at the chiropractor yesterday, just general maintenance, and of course I told her about the foot thing. She asked how I was using the cane, and when I showed her, advised me to switch it to the other hand (right foot, so left hand), which she said would help me not lean over onto that side, as that is harder on my upper back/neck. Well then! Interesting. I'll be experimenting with that.
  • I seem to have jinxed the Bruins by writing about them yesterday, as they imploded spectacularly in last night's game. I did get a slight, pained laugh from Feedly this morning, though.
  • See the green text under the headline? "Jeremy Swayman leads Bruins to victory"? Yeah, no, that is the opposite of what happened. Swayman was pulled from the game, even--not that it was entirely his fault. I assume the green text is AI-generated? I found where Feedly explains that "When a certain topic is trending, you'll see a bent arrow green indicator below the title of the article" but it doesn't actually say how trending is determined. And mind you, Sway did lead the Bruins to victory in the two previous games...but not this one.
  • Engie, this one is for you: I put out my new toothbrushes. The whole rainbow! Because it's not like I find particular joy in any one color, it's having them all that's the fun part.

  • I recently received my contact lens order in the mail, and in addition to some mildly bad puns along the way ("You can also keep an eye on the status" "Looks like your order is running a little late" "Keep an eye on your mailbox"), they included this sticker in the package. No, thank you.

There, that's a bit of positivity, anyway!

7 comments:

  1. I'd heard that saying as turning your frown upside down. Same difference, eh? I like that you're looking for plusses. Everyone around us (and ourselves) suffers when we're too negative. The trip will be FUN, just a bit different from what you expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same thing! I am trying to look on the bright side--it's not always easy, is it.

      Delete
  2. There is a whole body mechanics thing to using a cane. We found that out when my mother had to go on one. It's fascinating. Even the height is critical!

    Love your cheery toothbrush display. I'd use a different one every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rotating through the colors! It gives me such pleasure, and anything that makes brushing more fun is a win.

      Delete
  3. Wait...you're just going to use them all randomly?! How will you know when it's been three months and you need to replace them?! I have even more questions now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's fascinating about the cane! You would think that it would help more to use it on the same side, but that makes sense that it's better to use it on the opposite side.

    Ahh, Feedly. It often asks me if my blog is about parenting, and I'm like, "What in the world?!!?!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been fairly well satisfied with Feedly since Google Reader shut down, but lately my confidence in it has been diminishing. It put that tag on the post about game four as well, which was another case of NO. And some blogs aren't showing up when there are new posts, which is also frustrating. Come on, Feedly, do better!

      Delete