Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Trying _Not_ To Raise a Hot Topic

I'm busy getting things ready for my trip this weekend, but I wanted to throw something up here for discussion, if anyone is inclined. 

There's a woman at work who is a Christian Scientist, and I don't know much about that*, but according to Wikipedia (I know, it's not the most reliable source, but it does have its place), the church doesn't require members to entirely eschew medical care, but believes "prayer is most effective when not combined with medicine". So anyway, today I heard her telling someone that she likes to go to the Minute Clinic at CVS (which is for basic medical stuff and staffed by a nurse practitioner, not a doctor). She went on to explain the Christian Scientists don't like to go to doctors, and I have to admit that I don't see why going to an NP would be okay but going to an MD wouldn't. Am I missing something?
*And yes, I could ask her, and I probably will; she's very friendly and I don't think she would be offended, but just because I can hear her on the phone doesn't mean she wanted me butting into her conversation today.

I feel like maybe I'm just being insensitive to the nuances of something that I don't understand, and I don't want to offend, but can anyone help me understand? Are there, I wonder, those who believe more strongly in Christian Science and those who believe less strongly, the way there are in other religions? I'm not sure why I can easily understand that there are Catholics or Jews who practice their religion more and those who practice less, but that seems like an odd idea for Christian Science.

I will be pondering this as I get ready for my mother's arrival. Wish her, and us, happy travels!

3 comments:

  1. Maybe since it's not a doctor she doesn't see the harm? I don't like to see doctors either -- that MD is too often considered Major (or Minor) Deity so I treat with FNPs whenever possible. I wonder what she does about Pap smears; something tells me they don't do those at CVS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect that it is that some Christian Scientists are more... strict? Devout? Just like some Christians are way more strict than others, etc. I would also be really curious about it, too, though!

    If she's really friendly, and you want to ask her, you could preface it by saying that you didn't mean to eavesdrop, but you heard her mention the Minute Clinic, and were curious about how it fits in with her beliefs. If she's open enough about her religion that you know about it, I suspect she'd be fine with talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and hello to your mom, and safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete