Sunday, August 19, 2012

I Hate Sunday Evenings

I'm looking at the end of the weekend. It's not even 70 degrees; I'm wearing sweatpants, and socks, and slippers. In August! And though I did laundry and ran the dishwasher and accomplished various things today, I really should be doing the dishes now.

So let's talk yarn and knitting, shall we?

When last I spoke of knitting, it was to mention finishing up my YOlympic knitting project, the Colonnade Shawl. I still haven't washed and blocked it, but even pre-blocking I like it a lot.

This shot is fuzzy, but shows the shape.
And this is what it looks like on.
What else have I knit? Well, when I finished that, I went back to the Tardis shawl for a few more rows. I was worried that I would find picking it up again, after the hiatus, difficult, but it felt very smooth. I'm down to about ten rows left, and the Tardis shapes are showing nicely, as this crappy knee-top picture shows.
I look forward to finishing, of course, but in fact I've put it aside again. First I made a couple of hats, for a raffle that a friend's friend is doing for their kids' school. The pattern is a slouchy one*, Starving Artist, and the end product was difficult to capture in photos. Not that I didn't try.
*And how do you knit to size for something meant to fit loosely? Like Dave Barry wondered years ago, how do you shop for pants when you wear them falling-off-your-butt loose? Do you try them on to make sure they don't fit?
I tell myself that they will look better on a human head. I hope.
It was a fun pattern, and an easy one. The blue one is knit in Lion Brand Wool-Ease Worsted, held double, and the pink is bulky yarn I got at Apple Festival a few years ago. Remember, the yarn purchase that taught me that the color of the tent affects what you think you see, aka pink is not red? It was lovely to work with, nice and cushy, and I will buy from her again. But I'll use real light!

Other than those, I've got some stealth knitting either in progress or planned, so more will be revealed in time. But there's also some yarn!

When I mentioned that last Saturday saw me in a yarn shop, did you guess I bought something there?

Of course I did! What are the odds I wouldn't? Why, I'm just trying to be civic-minded and support small businesses! That's it.

I know, you're shocked to see blue. What a surprise. Berroco Ultra Alpaca tonal -- so pretty!

I also bought some yarn yesterday, which I would love to show except it may be for stealth knitting, so I need to decide how stealthy. Possible updates on that.

No, it's too pretty not to share. And I implied to my mother already that my purchase might just turn into something for her, someday, so I'm not spoiling the full surprise.

The color would give it away, even if I didn't say anything. I saw these and thought at once of her.
So pretty, and both yarns are super-soft as well. I kind of want to cast on at once, but other things are afoot. Patience is not my strong suit, but I'm preaching it now.

I wish this was Friday night, not Sunday. Not just for knitting; generally.

No comments:

Post a Comment