Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Wordy Wednesday

(Y'all know I'm never going to be doing the Wordless Wednesdays, right? I'm just not the "goes without saying" type.)

I slept so well last night. Let me emphasize that as it deserves: sooooo wellllllll. It was blissful. I watched a little TV in the evening, between making dinner and washing dishes and biking, and stayed up long enough to catch the last few minutes of Tampa kicking the Capitals when they're down*, then read for about 4.2 minutes before turning off the light. Snuggle under covers, breathe fresh air through the half-open window, pet the cat, and out. Is there anything like good sleep? Doesn't it make even a cool, rainy day a little more bearable?

*It's rather restful to watch a game where I just don't care who wins.

Of course, I'm still feeling some stress today. Running through my head much of today: "It's Wednesday. It's only Wednesday. Wednesday is not the end of the week. Chill out." But it's so hard to listen to me, even when I give me good advice! The heart leaps at every e-mail, only to find a library request has come in ... sigh. Ordinarily I would be pleased by that, but not today.

The waiting feels endless, and yet at the same time, I know the process is moving quickly. And here's how I know: I get my hair cut every 5-6 weeks. At my last haircut, I hadn't heard of this company. At my next haircut, I could conceivably be working there. That's fast. But at the same time, the minutes are crawling. It didn't help that while the morning was busy, the afternoon ... how do I put this? ... was not. Busy is better for distraction.

Fun fact: One more small reason why I would be happy to get this new job: they have the usual office layout, cubes and closed-door offices, but apparently they give the offices with doors to the people who need to be on the phone. "What a radical concept!" I thought today, as three of my cube-neighbors were on the phone simultaneously.

**********
This year I'm going to try to stave off the many, many Father's-Day-themed e-mails I know are coming*, as did those that repeatedly whacked me about the head last year. Who needs it, you know?

*The first one came today, in fact, which is what made me think of it.

I set up a filter in Gmail for messages with "dad" in the subject, and "dad", "father", and "father's day" in the message, to go directly to a separate folder. I'll check it periodically for any real messages that get caught in the net, but if you e-mail me to come over on Father's Day, I may not answer right away. (Of course, I might not have answered promptly anyway, but I'm sure you understand that it's no slight to you, or your dad.)

**********
Finally, go Bruins! Oh, and by the way, if you celebrate the day, May the 4th be with you!

1 comment: