Thursday, May 05, 2011

Only a Year Later Than I Hoped For

AKA, The Resolution of Proofquest 2010-2011

I don't know if the waiting is the hardest part, as the song says, but it sure is hard.

This morning, I heard from one of my references that she was contacted yesterday. Yay!

And waiting...

At work today, I had the Priority Inbox showing on my Gmail, so my heart wouldn't leap at every meaningless message*. I had my cell phone on my desk, turned on but volume off, so I could check every little while: any calls? any messages? Nothing.

*And today, most everything was meaningless.

And waiting...

Aaaannd then. After lunch, I got an e-mail from the woman in HR, to set up a time to talk (they're having trouble with the phones in their building). Ahhhh. Keep breathing. We did a little phone-and-e-mail tag before connecting at last, and yes: offer.

Say it again: OFFER! And ACCEPTED!

Whew! The interviews felt so good, if they hadn't offered me the job, I wouldn't have known what to think. I wouldn't have been able to trust my instincts if they hadn't.

Thank you all for the crossed fingers (toes, ankles), good-karma thoughts, prayers, call it what you will. Your support means a lot to me. I've been looking for a permanent job for more than a year (since last February, I think), and it's been a long haul. It's not the sort of thing anyone gets through alone.

The funny thing is that this morning, I thought that I would be calmer once I heard from them. But once I did, I was still all excited and jittery and man, it's a good thing I didn't have to have my blood pressure taken today. But the bubbly feeling is more excitement than nervousness, which I take for a good sign.

And grocery shopping after work? A mighty comedown.

A permanent job. Benefits. Mmmm. Health insurance. And oh, four weeks paid time off a year. A year of temping will raise one's appreciation of these things.

**********
Now, as for hockey, the Bruins have not won the series yet, and if there's anyone who takes that to heart*, it's Bruins fans, but all the same, last night's game was one of the best they've played in recent memory.

*No premature celebrating, no counting chickens, no Googling about when round three would start if, if, if.

I fully expected Philly to come out full steam ahead, all guns blazing, but instead they seemed rather flat, while the Bruins got two goals in the first 1:03, and never let up. Startlingly good, considering the up-and-down way they played much of this season. It sure was fun to watch! And I'm very curious what will happen tomorrow night (Game 4, and on NESN!)(which means homers, the local announcers, not the neutrals on national coverage; hi, Jack!).

For the record, I do not fully agree with the opinion piece on NESN.com that is headlined:

Flyers Have No Chance of Rallying From 3-0 Series Deficit to Beat Bruins, No Matter What Happened Last Year

Still, I like the Bruins' chances. Certainly if last night's team shows up!

(Also, ow:
"Towing" a line must be hard. Toeing the line would be so much easier!)

8 comments:

  1. HOOORAY!!!!! I am so so so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YIPPEE!!!!!! Way to go!!!

    (BTW I wonder if it's easier to "tow" than "toe" when you're wearing skates.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many congratulations! Oh, I am so happy for you, and wish you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray! Huzzah! and Go Bruins!

    So...when do you start?

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! I've been thinking about you and hoping you'd hear something. That is so fast! Congratulations!

    Now I can finish reading the rest of your blog entry. I was just so excited to see you got the job I couldn't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful news! I hope you never have to look again! FOUR weeks of paid leave in addition to paid holidays? What a lucky find - but you deserve it.

    When's the starting date? What did old work/current temp place have to say?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I am so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete