Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Pre-Packing Post

I'm really excited for this trip to see my friend. While I have seen her since my last visit a few years ago, getting together for dinner once a year is not the same as spending a few days thoroughly catching up. Selfishly, I wish she could move back to MA, but it doesn't seem likely right now.

I was thinking back on that last trip I took to visit her. It was in September of 2006, when I had just found my condo (and was learning to knit socks), so that was a very exciting time for me. (And now I've just found a job ... hmmm. The next time something in my life seems stalled, remind me to plan a trip to visit her!) I flew that time, although nervously, as it was just after the liquid-bomber scare and so no liquids were allowed on the planes at all, remember that? Fun!

(To sidetrack myself for a moment, I also flew just after the Richard Reid shoe-bomber incident*, and canceled flying plans a month after the September 11th attacks. Do I fly too much, or are there just too many terrorist incidents to expect to avoid them all?

*And on one of those flights, there was an outcry that turned out to be because someone had fainted in the aisle. Hearing calls for help just behind our seats was certainly nerve-wracking!)

And this time I'm taking the train. And looking forward to it! And bringing probably far too much knitting, and reading material, and audiobooks* and music on my MP3 player, and snacks (not as much or as bad for me as I'd like, but not celery sticks either).

*I love that I can borrow audiobooks from the library, through my computer, and put them on the MP3 player. Isn't technology amazing, sometimes?

It was a quiet day at work*, and by afternoon I was very antsy about all the Things I want or need to do before I leave, so I'll end here. You know the drill, no posting and probably no e-mail while I'm away, but I'll be back next week, probably with some picture-heavy posts. At least, I hope so!

*And though I try quite hard not to write about work in an unprofessional way, let me just say that it shouldn't have been quiet at work, we're supposed to be wrapping up our work on the catalogs by next week, we should be up to our necks in pages and we're not and I don't understand why! It's not my problem for long, but it sure is ... weird.

I hate to end on a ranting footnote. Have a nice weekend! Are you doing anything fun?

1 comment:

  1. I love taking the train to DC to see my sister--I take the iPod and some books or magazines. When I was in grad school, I studied on the train.

    Um, grading papers and taking out my summer clothes probably don't fall under the definition of fun. I did promise myself I'd treat myself to Saladworks on Friday after our early dismissal, so I guess that will do for fun. Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete