Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Step by Step, but Good News

Oh, it went well! It went well, and I liked both the HR person and the hiring manager, liked what they had to say about the job, and about the company, and I'm excited and nervous, and trying not to be too excited too soon*, and ... I have a feeling that I'm emitting vibrations on a frequency that humans can't hear. I was as jittery as ten cups of coffee, all afternoon.

*I know that someone could have walked in there this afternoon and knocked their socks off (even more than I did), and I have no control over that. I can only control what I do.

It went well, is the thing, and we've scheduled a second interview for next week. Good feelings, but please continue to cross fingers! (Tuesday morning, specifically.)

Even before I heard back from the company last week, I was contemplating what to wear to an interview, should I get one. I did a lot of pondering, and purposely didn't blog about it because for once I didn't want anyone else's opinion. This was a case of deciding what I was comfortable with, and no one else can decide that for me.

I didn't have trouble deciding on a specific knit top and jacket to wear, both dressy but still comfortable, and ones that I felt confident wearing. The main issue that took thought was whether to wear a skirt or pants/slacks/trousers, and I went back and forth on that. First I decided that wearing nice, tidy slacks was sufficiently professional ... then that I really had to wear a skirt, to show that I can be more formal ... back and forth.

Part of the issue is that the last interview or two that I wore a skirt to, I felt very overdressed, enough to be uncomfortable. In general life, I don't care tremendously what others think of what I'm wearing, but if you sit through an interview wearing a skirt, while your interviewer wears jeans, it just is not comfortable. So I weighed each side pretty thoroughly.

In the end, the skirts stayed in the closet. It turns out to be a casual office, like jeans are okay every day, and I felt that I looked professional, and not too casual, and was dressy enough for that office without looking like central casting sent me over from 1955. And as a bonus, I could go on to work (after removing the pearls) without my clothing screaming, "My 'appointment' this morning was a job interview!" Even though I then sat down with my boss to tell her that.

**********
Now! Hockey! The Bruins couldn't get it done last night; it was a pretty pathetic effort, really. Maybe they just didn't want to distract me before the interview? Anyway, another day, another quote from Stanley Cup of Chowder:
I have been calling Habs fans clowns for a long time. My theory might be right after seeing the items that they bring to hockey games. What well-adjusted adult brings a rubber chicken to a hockey game and then throws it on the ice?
Exactly what I was asking! The Canadiens had a goal called back last night because the whistle had blown, and I don't blame them for being upset, but the fans started throwing things on the ice, and the trash included a rubber chicken. What, you just happened to have one with you? Seriously?

Anyway. Off to game 7. It's tied at 2 after 2, and I am capital-N Nervous.

3 comments:

  1. Nice that you could be less formal for the interview. I feel overdressed in my suit most of the time, but I don't know what the interviewers might be thinking. I'm glad the interview went well!

    As for the rubber chicken thing. . . maybe that's not normal for Boston fans, but that sounds perfectly reasonable for the Philly crowd.

    WV: "lertra." The new drug that makes you as jittery as ten cups of coffee, without the need for potty breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for a great interview!!! Fingers crossed for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought they won last night -- at least that's what the 11:00 o'clock news said. I was happy for you!

    Good decision evidently about the interview clothing and good news about the follow-up interview next week. I'll be throwing little slips into the prayer wheel all week:)

    ReplyDelete