Monday, April 11, 2011

Of traffic and weekend and foreign assets

In the morning, as I'm getting ready to go out the door, I watch the time to see if I'll catch the 7:43 (or 7:53) traffic report while I'm in the kitchen, or once I'm in the car. After I hear it, I usually switch to music in the car, rather than trying to catch the following traffic updates. After that day last week and then this morning, though, I think I need to make more of an effort to listen to the follow-ups, because yes, I got caught in extra-special traffic again this morning (I learned that it was caused by a disabled vehicle in the second lane only when the tractor-trailer in the second lane next to me started moving into the third lane, where my car was already existing--eep).

It's still better than taking the bus and the T. Just for the record.

Weekend Wrap-up


So yeah, it was a good weekend. A friend came over Saturday afternoon to watch the Bruins' penultimate game of the regular season (which they won, thank you), and then in the evening another friend came over for dinner and general (often bookish) chat. It was a nice day, but between those events and the vet coming by in the morning*, about the only chores accomplished on Saturday were dish-washing-related (well, and a quick vacuum).

*She wants to run bloodwork on him, so keep those fingers crossed. She was very pleased that he's lost weight since going to a wet-food-only diet starting back in November, which apparently lowers his risk of complications considerably.

Happily, Sunday was not one of my headache days, so I had time to get laundry caught up, bills paid, and all sorts of other little things like changing the sheets and ... and ... it felt like more than that ... well, and cat-lap time, of course. And watched most of the Bruins game, though as they didn't play too well I changed the channel quite a bit. The playoffs start Thursday, and by the way the Bruins played, that's what they were thinking about. It would have been nice if they could have won Sunday, but never mind.

In hindsight, I should have gone for a walk instead of watching the game; hindsight's kind of annoying that way. The weather was decent yesterday, but I decided I'd be happier if I Got Things Done (which I think wasn't a bad choice). Today's weather was even nicer, and when I left work at 5, the temp was in the mid-70s, just lovely! Of course my next day off, the forecast is for 55 and thunderstorms. Naturally. I am getting tired of saying, "At least you don't have to shovel it!"

Still, the first trees are starting to bud and bloom, and though Spring isn't coming fast enough for me, it is coming. It is.

Now, for a final comic note: I got one of those scam e-mails! I've never actually gotten one of those "millions of dollars from Nigeria" messages that I've read about, and for some reason it tickled my fancy.
I AM MR MIKE NASRI THE CHIEF AUDITOR INCHARGE OF FOREIGN REMITTANCE UNIT OF CENTRAL BANK AND I HAVE HAD THE INTENT TO CONTACT YOU OVER THIS FINANCIAL TRANSACTION WORTH THE SUM ($4.2Million USD) FOR OUR SUCCESS.


THIS IS AN ABANDONED SUM THAT BELONGS TO ONE OF OUR BANK FOREIGN CUSTOMERS WHO DIED WITH HEART RELATED DISEASE ALONG AGO.


YOU HAVE THE ABSOLUTE AUTHORITY TO CLAIM THE FUND HENCE YOU ARE A FOREIGNER AS SOON AS YOU REPLY, STEP TO FOLLOW IN ORDER TO FINALIZE THIS TRANSACTION IMMEDIATELY WOULD BE DECLARED TO YOU.

I EXPECT YOU'RE URGENT COMMUNICATION.


YOURS SINCERELY
MR. MIKE NASRI
See, the money comes to me because I'm a foreigner! Like the customer who died along ago! It makes perfect sense. Unfortunately for him, as an English major and avowed word nerd, I could never get in touch with him, because I can't forgive the YOU'RE/YOUR mistake. Also, I don't know how to step to follow. Do you?

Cracks me up, I say. Have you ever gotten one like this?

1 comment:

  1. How could you not trust a guy named Mike?

    Interesting that your traffic is on the threes; ours is on the twos. But I still don't trust them to advise of something that actually might affect my commute!

    Yay for a slenderized Carlos.

    ReplyDelete