Thursday, April 14, 2011

Quick, Game One is About to Start


This morning at work, I was talking to someone about the Bruins, and admitted that I'm nervous about how they'll do. He summed it up perfectly: "Depends which team shows up." The Bruins have been very up-and-down this year, more up than down but still. Some games, some periods, they've played practically perfect hockey. Then without warning, they start skating tentatively around, like they want to ask what they're supposed to do next. Maddening.

Plus, even if they do win, I have to agree with this hockey commenter: "the prospect of a 7 game emotionally draining series with the Canadiens is a double edge sword for me. On one hand it would be awesome entertainment to watch, but I don't like what it does for the chances of a lengthy run for the Bruins."

Yeah, that. The Globe blog tells me that this is the 33rd time the two teams have met in the playoffs, and while I know that goes back far before I was born, it does kind of feel like we play them every freaking year.

I did think of one good thing about facing Montreal, anyway*. Four to seven renditions of the Canadian National Anthem, which is a lovely thing. And in Montreal, they even sing part of it in French! And yes, I know all the words, in English and French (nerd alert, nerd alert**). Hopefully NESN will not deprive me of this consolation by going to commercial at the wrong time (as they do, sadly, sometimes).

*and when I thought of it this afternoon, I was in a grumpy kind of mood, but the lyrics in my head made me start smiling.
**French-studying, hockey-watching nerd alert, and more than that, I learned them during pre-Google days, aka college, when it was more than the impulse of a moment to dig up such information.

O Canada! Go Bruins!

1 comment:

  1. And how old were you when you wrote the composition you pictured? I take it that's your proof of your life-long Bruins affinity, eh? (yeah, I speak Canadian!!!)

    ReplyDelete