Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Very Random Weekend Wrap-up

I imagine that I get roughly the same amount of stuff done every weekend, headaches permitting, but some weekends don't feel like much got done, while once in a while I feel like a lot got done. This was one of those rare weekends.

Yesterday, I got my laundry done, changed the sheets, finished knitting something (secret a little while longer), washed some dishes, ran a whole bunch of business-and-pleasure errands, it was a beautiful day, what could be better.

Today it's been cool and rainy, so I'm glad I was out yesterday. I made soup and vacuumed, started a new knitting project (so happily! I love knitting), did more dishes, and got tomorrow's lunch ready.

Otherwise this weekend? I read a book (The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, which was very interesting; though I admit to skimming over some of the science); watched some TV (the first disc of Daria is the latest I have from Netflix); I managed to hit my elbow on a doorknob while vacuuming [ow] and drop a solid glass perfume bottle on my toe [OW!]; and, not coincidentally, I wondered if there's a specific fairy or saint in charge of coordination, that I should be praying to.

Let's see what the pictures show.


Oops, sorry! That's tea leaves. Ignore that. Moving on.

You may recall (though why would you) that after I got my MP3 player last Christmas, I complained about the earphones not wanting to stay in my ears. It's been bothering me ever since, and yes, it's August, your point is? Hey, I've meant to do something about it, I've come close to doing something about it, I've researched it! Just, you know. Didn't actually make a decision. Yet.

Ahem! Anyway. One of my errands yesterday involved stopping at the charming discount store, Building 19, to see if any of the sneakers in their ad might fit my weird old feet (the recently-new ones are still bothering me if I wear them for a few days in a row, sigh). They actually had a couple of pairs in my usual size, 9 and a half, but they didn't fit right, and the next size up was 11, which I didn't even bother trying. The perils of the cheap shopper.

Anyway, I looked around, as one does, to see what else was there, and found a pair of Lands' End jeans that fit for $15, which is well worth the price. While I was waiting in line, I looked around at all the impulse buys, and my eye was caught by some small packages of earphones. Ah, you wondered when I was going to get back to that, didn't you? And for under $5, I decided to take the plunge.


On the left, the ones that came with the player. I've never used my MP3 player while walking around, as so many people do, because I've found that even sitting at my desk, the earphones (especially the right one) would fall out when I sneezed, turned my head, or sometimes when I didn't move at all. Frustrating doesn't begin to cover it.

On the right, the new ones. I walked around, moved my head, even shook it, and they stayed in. It's like a miracle, I tell you!

Apparently, the insides of my ears are shaped less like this:

And more like this.

Now, knitting! I got this yarn at Rhinebeck last year, and in the Spring I tried to make it be socks. It apparently didn't like the pattern I chose (knitters know that this happens), and after several tries I acknowledged that I was going to end up with too-big socks, and ripped. Here, we try again. Isn't it pretty?


And maybe the extra needles will buy me more elbow room on the T!

Now this picture I took because I liked the plate. I had to Google the sticker above it to the left to learn what it meant, and now I'm wondering at the juxtaposition of the two.


I mean, it could be different moods on different days, but it seems like the person who says "no problem" and the person who says "does it look like I give a fuck" are not the same person.

Carlos had a nap-heavy weekend. How that's different from any other weekend, I couldn't say, but he seemed to be very photogenic.


Look at the paws!

Good thing he doesn't know I'm giving blog time to a dog analogy. I think it's a good one, and there isn't a cat equivalent that I can come up with, but all the same I don't think he'd approve.


This one's a plant!


No, I have no idea what. I just noticed its interesting top view. Just one reason I always carry my camera.

I hit a sugar low at work one day, and the Skittles package that I got caught my eye. I have to admit, I was thinking that if I won $10,000, I'd have to buy another pack, because I wanted the Skittles to eat right then!


The inside message was even better.


I'm still not sure that Carlos cares for Miri in the slightest, but as time goes by, he seems to tolerate her more often.


Here's to a good week for all.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe that vanity plate is really "no pablum." That would coordinate better with the abbreviation decal.

    I had to buy different earbuds, too. Smaller ones. The original ones HURT. Aren't those new ones way better?

    Does Carlos care for Miri, or does he just want to do everything she does? I wonder.

    ReplyDelete