Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Briefly, after being out late-ish two night in a row

Today was my dad's birthday. He would have been 81. This is probably why I was a little down today; not out-and-out depressed, just kind of blue. Surrounded by strangers, wanting a hug.

But I'm proud of myself! I didn't wallow, I just started thinking about who I know nearby that I'm on hugging terms with, then e-mailed a family friend (my "local mother") in a nearby town to see if they were in tonight. She said yes, and even invited me for dinner (which I was not angling for, but was so nice), so I got my hugs after all. Very comforting.

This time last year, I was with my mother and brother in Florida. I've seen them since then, but I haven't been back there, and it feels kind of odd. For the last few years, I was taking every opportunity to visit, flying down three or four times a year, motivated in large part by Dad's diminishing health, and now I haven't been on a plane in twelve months: weird. Have to get the job situation straightened out, then plan the next trip. Hanging out with mom in the sunshine state sounds really nice.

Primarily the "hanging out with mom" part; I'm certainly not complaining about the summer we've had up here. Compared to last year's non-summer, this year has been paradise, and it's not over yet. There are signs of it coming to an end (leaves starting to change; acorns starting to fall; less light at either end of the day), and the last few days have been startlingly cooler (I wore a sweater today, and boots, while just last Friday my friend and I were discussing if eating our lunch on a park bench in the sun was going to be too hot [it wasn't]). But the warm is supposed to be back in a few days, and I will appreciate every minute of it.

Because time sure whips along, doesn't it? Five weeks from Friday is my end date at this job. And looking at the calendar, one week after that is Apple Festival, and one week after that is Rhinebeck! Crazy.

I have naturally been thinking about Rhinebeck recently, since I am hoping to go again this year; I'm practically positive I'll be able to, though I won't be spending as much money as I did last year. But the experience is the real fun. Still, it's hard to explain the concept of Rhinebeck to outsiders. Something crossed my mind recently that might help: Rhinebeck is like a state fair, but for fiber people*.

*Not just knitters, but also spinners, crocheters, and weavers, as well as all the people producing things to appeal to them. What's not to love?

You have booths for shopping. Displays of prize-winning crafts. Historical information. Animals performing or just being on display. You have lots of food options, mostly unhealthy and delicious. Crowds of (mostly) happy people.

What else says "state fair" to you?

**********
Yesterday morning at work, there was a sudden loud outburst from one of my co-workers, which started, "Oh! Oh, pity me! Pity me!" and then moved into an unending string of various expletives. It turned out she'd spilled a cup of coffee everywhere*, so I could understand the volume and even the drama in general, but, "pity me"? Huh?

*On her desk, on the floor, and enough on herself that she went out and bought new trousers. Coffee everywhere, really.

Basically, people can be weird.

2 comments:

  1. how ... bizarre. does this co-worker tend act really self-entitled in general? that's just weird.

    i've never been to rhinebeck. i've done the maryland sheep and wool for several years now and it's always so hot! not really the best time of year for it. fall is really so much more appropriate. a friend and i have discussed going to rhinebeck. hmmm. i just might touch base with her about this. if we go i'll be sure to let you know. maybe we could even get together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i forgot to say

    i'm sending you cyber hugs for you missing your dad

    *hug*

    ReplyDelete