Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Oh, vat vader

So it turns out that day three* of a commute in the pouring rain is when I start to lose my shit. Goodness, how annoying this morning was! The rain and the puddles and the wind and the traffic, the splashing and the dampness of everything. I usually put my bag on the floor on the T, but not on a rainy day, so trying to knit over the bag on my lap is challenging (but yes, I still knit; even awkwardly, it helps sooth me).

*It's actually day four of the rain, but since I didn't have to go out on Sunday, it didn't contribute to this frustration.

Plus it appears that the sweater I wore today has a surface just smooth enough that it discourages my shoulder bag from staying on my shoulder. As you might imagine, this repeated slipping off was super-convenient as the wind alternated between tugging my umbrella away from me and turning it inside out.

So I blew into the office damp and disgruntled, to discover that my e-mail and Internet access were not functioning. I will leave my reaction to your imagination. We're getting new phones put in, they were put on the desks last night, and in the end it seemed that one of the cords on mine wasn't clipping in properly. Why this shebanged my computer I don't know, but what a way to start the day.

It also didn't help that I asked a co-worker what the number was for the help desk, and she told me it was 511, "just remember like 911 and 411". Only it didn't work for me, and it turns out, ha ha, that you actually have to dial 5111! Oops! Thanks for the help!

Oy. Definitely wished I'd stayed in bed.

By tonight, it was sprinkling and misting more than raining, and it's "supposed to" clear overnight, and be at least partly sunny tomorrow. Oh, please let it be so. They even say it will be 85, which I want to believe, but given that's 20 degrees warmer than it's been all week, I'm kind of afraid to get my hopes up.

2 comments:

  1. I read this, enjoyed it, especially the first paragraph. But am curious, since I couldn't find in the body of the work, what is "Oh vat Vader". Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a close to a Swedish sentence "vått väder" which means wet weather

    ReplyDelete