Sunday, August 08, 2010

Four Years, Man! Four Years! Four! Years!

Four years ago, which is actually very hard to write without riffing on four score and seven years ago, I took the step from "reading other people's blogs" to "starting my own". Blogging is a funny thing, now and four years ago, with people at all points along a spectrum of understanding. From those whose lives have changed due to it, to those who say "bla-what now?"*, this form of expression is far from being one size fits all.

*When I started doing this, and my mother showed the blog to my father, he reportedly asked what he was supposed to do with it. "Read it," my mother told him.

When I first wrote, August 9, 2006 and thereafter, I had various "reasons" for it, including these:
"the chance of connecting to someone I would otherwise never meet has a certain odd appeal."
"I suffer from polishing compulsion, where I want to make every word, every sentence, that I write perfect before I continue. ... I hope that, by blogging, I'll be able to loosen up a bit."
Today, I find my own usage of the word odd rather funny, now that I have blog-friends that I e-mail to "talk" to, and would enjoy meeting for real but feel I know already. And I am now much more comfortable with the concept of "finished is a better goal than better than perfect"; I check off the latter point as well.

It's hard to believe that there are things about myself that haven't come up in the last four years and 1000+ posts, but I came up with a few extremely minor and probably boring things that I think are making their blog debut today. Without further ado, here they are:

Totally Random Things You May Not Know About Me
  • When I comb my hair after I wash it, I do so with my eyes closed. There's a reason: because when I comb into a tangle, I wince, and if I see myself do it, it hurts more. Yeah, I didn't say it was a logical reason.
  • I have an inexplicable fondness for the TV show Extreme Makeover Home Edition. Sunday nights at 8, there I am, soaking in the emotional manipulation and repetitive redundancy. One Sunday evening I was on the computer, and when I saw it was 8:02, I hopped up with a cry of, "I'm missing it!" and scurried into the living room to turn on the TV. I watch reruns on TVLand and CMT. I'm sure it's staged and arranged and rehearsed and I don't care (and don't want to know).
  • When I wear shoes with laces, the laces are always coming undone. At least once a day, often more, and always the left before the right (apparently I tend to sit with the left tucked under the right, so it loosens, or that's the theory anyway). Sneakers, boots, shoes, double-knotted, doesn't matter, they gradually loosen and flap free. Does this happen to everyone?
  • I have watched NASCAR on TV, by choice (though not in a few years). (My friend Pat and I agreed, many years back, that she would teach me about NASCAR while I taught her about hockey. Therefore, I became a Dale Earnhardt fan, and she "rooted" for the Bruins. Naturally.) I would venture to guess that none of my friends could say this. I'm not bragging and I'm not ashamed, but it's one of those things that I would have trouble telling someone without feeling the need to explain.
Do you have any questions that you'd like to ask? Feel free, and I may even answer!

**********
Off topic, but hockey fans are counting down to training camp (opens September 17th!), and here's a great fan-made video tribute to get you in the mood (assuming you're a Bruins fan):



Summer must end, which is sad, but at least it means hockey begins again.

3 comments:

  1. Four years, huh? Well, you should be commended for your persistence. Obviously I enjoy or I wouldn't continue to read.

    p.s. My laces always come untied and need tightening and/or complete re-tying at least twice a day. I seen unable to eat a chili dog without wearing it somewhere; do we share that trait too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy blogiversary!

    I have certain laces that won't stay tied and I blame the laces. They've got a slickness or waxy finish or something.

    Did (do) you play a sport at all? (This is a total bookworm, who is still teaching herself about baseball/football/hockey, asking.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beleive it or not, the way you tie your bow vs the way you tie your knot influences how well your shoes stayed tied, my sister's always come loose unless I tie them. Then there is the problem of not snugging up the laces before you tie, too. Or, I guess you coudl jsut be a rotten tie-er.

    ReplyDelete