Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Wow, December, and I'm Tired

And so it begins: the month of starting the day with good chocolate. Yes, it's time to open the Harbor Sweets advent calendar.


Or rather, it was time this morning. Mmm. This morning was a Sand Dollar. I love the chocolate and caramel, tend to eat around the pecan. (It's worth it for the rest.)

Isn't it pretty?


They sell out every year; make a note on next year's calendar now to order yours in October.

I'm glad that the day started well (although technically I overslept, which is not the best way to begin), because it wasn't the most upbeat day. I got an e-mail from a sender called Sentient Decision Science. Doesn't that sound official, without being specific? Unfortunately for my mood, it was a survey about my most recent experience at the vet. And while I applaud the idea that they want to know how I felt about the visit and any ways I think they could improve their service, the plain fact is that "my most recent experience at the vet" was Harold's death, and once I start thinking about it, it's hard to stop.

And even if I think I'm succeeding, the fact that I am suddenly grumpy about every little living thing, down to people talking where I can hear them, the nerve, means I am perhaps deceiving myself about the success of my reprogramming.

So I spent most of the day bent under invisible weights, dragging. I tried to talk myself up, to think of going to see and smell Christmas trees after work, but nothing shook off the sad.

I didn't buy a tree tonight: they were lovely, but all so tall! Nothing seemed to be between 18-inch-potted "trees" and the ones my height and up. I'm looking for one 3-4 feet tall, and I'll look a bit more before I compromise. They sure did smell good, though, even as my nose was freezing off (it's a wee bit cold today). And I did buy some of this:


What's that? Have a closer look.


Okay, that's where. But what?


Boy, is it good.



And really, how cute is the bottle? Glass and all. Smiling cows on side and top. Has to make a girl feel better.

So will getting some sleep. I'm twin-sitting tomorrow, I need my strength!

4 comments:

  1. get some rest. rest helps so much. sending warm hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohhhh Glass Bottles!!! Just think how pretty they will look holding Zinnias next summer; I'm smiling just thinking about it.

    And the Chocolate advent calendar is the absolutely best think I've seen in a long time. It makes me wish I celebrated Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. best thing not think -- although there was thinking involved.

    ReplyDelete