Monday, December 07, 2009

Weekend, snow, knees, a short rant, and a question


Mmm, today brought me a Marblehead Mint. Dark chocolate, little crunchy mint bits ... mmm.

**********
I had a pretty good, fairly productive, headache-light* weekend, though I did have to talk myself off the ledge once or twice, since the number of things I want or need to get done is so large that mere contemplation of them all induces slight hysteria. By focusing only on what I am doing now, then what I am doing next, I did all right.

*Not bad headache, but not headache-free either. Same today. Eh.

I did not get one ornament on the tree. However, I did bring the boxes up from the basement, so I can work on them this week, and in the meantime I am enjoying the lights themselves, as well as the stronger smell of the lit tree, mmm. Miri is almost completely uninterested in it, by the way. Even the tree skirt, which has to smell of cats of yore, does not seem to get her attention.

I brought various things down to the basement, thus clearing some space around the place. I loaded the dishwasher, ran it, emptied it, and re-loaded it, plus did hand dishes. I did 5 loads of laundry, vacuumed, and tidied the living room to host our condo meeting last night. I partially cleaned out the fridge, and I de-snowed my car. I returned a library book that was due, and picked up one that came in. I made a list of what gifts I have for which people, so I can fill the holes.

Speaking of snow, I forgot to show you a couple of snow photos from yesterday's storm.

Why I like snow

It's pretty. And ... no, that's about it.

Why I hate snow

See the mess to clear off the car? See the slippery footing? And if you could have felt my backache...

My back is still slightly unhappy today, in fact, but a bigger complaint is my knees. I am getting so old! Creak, groan. They're fine when walking, thank heavens, and bending to sit and stand doesn't hurt a bit. Kneeling, however, is a Very Bad Idea. Ow.

My theory is that supervising the twins in the bath Friday night, followed by putting lights on the tree Saturday, both of which involved plenty of knee-ground contact, irritated the knee caps. Or something. All I know is, in order to water the tree I have to get down to ground level, and I'm trying to do it without touching a knee to the ground. (Mention of which led to a colleague picturing me in a tripod pose, foot-foot-hand on the ground, with the other hand aiming the watering can. Pretty funny image, but not quite reality.)

**********
Random Rant of the Day: They've changed the type of soap in the ladies room at work. I could live with the thinner consistency that makes less lather, but what's bugging me is that it smells like rancid potpourri. I have to hold my breath while I wash my hands. Ugh.

**********
Thanks to those who gave iPod-type of advice; I appreciate it! Now I have some thinking to do...

**********
Not-so-theoretical-but-let's-pretend-it-is question: If you were, say, a person who likes certainty, and are already nervous about the idea of leaving your job if you are lucky enough to find another (because what if it doesn't work out), would you apply for a position that is "a full-time freelance position, with the possibility of permanent employment"?

The idea of freelance has never appealed to me. But, but, a proofreader? I wanna be a proofreader again.

I kind of think I should just apply. Because who knows. But still, my stomach clenches.

5 comments:

  1. By all means apply just to apply, but my experience with freelancing leads me to suggest that only people with spouses with benefits should take the plunge.

    No benefits and you are taxed at a rather high rate four times a year. Headaches galore. If it were part time on the side with your day job, I'd say sure but ....

    I'm like you. I like certainty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate and mint--one of your faves, right? Yum.

    I'm with you about snow--it's pretty in nature but I totally HATE cleaning it off my car. Especially when there's a coating of ice underneath the snow.

    As for the question, it's a toughie. I am in a similar position (although I do have some benefits) but it was the only full-time work I could get, and I figured it would (will) lead to something more permanent. Definitely, as Jennifer said, "apply just to apply." Hoping things work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would apply for the experience but those benefits really mean something (think knees, cortisone shots, sick pay, migraine medications, vacation pay). When they offer it to you, refuse and let them know why. Then ask if they would keep you in mind for any benefited positions in the future. I'm sorry but you probably cannot afford that job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If applying for the job costs you nothing then by all means do it. You don't have to commit to anything at this point but it gives you options.

    I hear you on the knees. I haven't been able to kneel for decades. Literally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think you should apply - otherwise you'll always wonder if this might have been a good chance etc. It's not headache time until you actually have an offer from them, so just apply and see what happens... good luck!

    ReplyDelete