Friday, February 27, 2009

Of cars and knitting and shopping and cats

Tonight after work I took my car in for an oil change (and got the headlight replaced! pesquiddle* no more! does anyone remember how shamefully long it's been?), and I sat and knit (of course) while waiting. A woman and her teen daughter came in to ask about a car problem, and we talked knitting briefly. Apparently the girl knits, "but with much bigger needles" than my sock-in-progress. I told her that it's not really as hard as it might look, and she said that it was really the 4 needles that looked complicated. I explained that really, I'm only knitting with two needles, same as anything, and the other needles are just holding stitches until it's their turn. I swear I saw the light bulb go on over her head; it was neat. I hope she tries it for herself sometime.

*I know, the word is not really pesquiddle, but it might as well be for all my brain will hold onto it. Apparently I am unable to accurately remember silly words that are new to me. Or that's my story, anyway.

They had the TV on in the waiting room, set to the Game Show Network, not a channel I've ever watched. I have to admit, there was a certain bizarre fascination to Bingo America, especially since two of the questions were these:
  • Which comes at the end of a book, the prologue or the epilogue?
  • True or False: If the President resigns, the First Lady is sworn in in his place.
Seriously? Umm ... seriously? These are the questions you come up with to challenge the players? Oh-kay. (For the record, correct answers were given to both; but still.)

I went to Wally World after that, figuring that it would be less crazy on a drizzly Friday evening than at any point over the weekend. It wasn't busy at all, so that's good. A few things crossed off the list. Must stimulate the economy with $18 jeans! And calcium chews. It's the oddest thing about those Viactiv chews. Did I tell you about that?

I always used to get Target's store brand (I like the caramel flavor, as the "chocolate" flavor is a little too chocolatey, as opposed to actual chocolate, for me), and then I tried the WalMart brand and liked it even more. But the last time I went there, they were out of them, so when I went to BJs and they had actual Viactiv brand, I bought those.

When I ate the first one, it tasted delicious! I wondered what I was thinking, going with store brands. But the rest of the package, which I have been working steadily through since, has been merely "eh". It's the oddest thing. I'm quite pleased to try the Wally ones again, and see what's up there.

Wow, that's an exciting story, right? Here, look at this:


I killed a short time before the appointment at Building 19. Can you imagine these shoes? I hardly feel I can call them sneakers.

On the other hand, I'd take them before I'd take these, whether either was in my size or not.


Building 19 can get a little racy!

But there's also plenty of this:


I was thinking of my parents, in a holy-cow, have-to-look sort of way.

And having saved the best for last, this shot from this morning:


I think Harold's capitulation is about complete.

1 comment:

  1. You said: "I'm only knitting with two needles, same as anything, and the other needles are just holding stitches until it's their turn."
    Voila! The best description I've ever found. Thanks for a simple, non-geeky way of explaining it :)

    p.s. LOVE that Harold has succumbed.

    ReplyDelete