Sunday, February 01, 2009

Two surprising things I did this weekend

Which is more surprising? I don't know for sure, but I joined Facebook and I did my taxes. And I wasn't planning to do either.

Well, of course I was going to do my taxes, but I wasn't exactly planning to do them this weekend. However, I got my last W-2 in the mail yesterday, and I looked it up to see if using TurboTax online was cheaper than buying it in the store, and it was, plus a discount through work, and, well, let's see just how bad the situation with the unemployment really is.

The situation with unemployment has to do with the fact that they don't automatically deduct taxes. As I understand it, they will if you ask them to, but hey, I was too busy frivolling my payments on the mortgage. My take on the situation last fall was, "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

More recently, though, safely employed again, I couldn't help wondering just how much it was going to hurt come tax-time. The good news is, while it doubtless made a difference, it's not enough of a difference that I have to pay them (the feds, that is; I always seem to have to pay the state).

TurboTax shows the numbers at the top as you fill things in, green for refund and red for owe (so close to "ow", isn't it?). I put in the first W-2 and it was green, the second and it was even more green! When unemployment went in, it went very red. But the mortgage and related whatever (forgive the technical terms) popped me back into green, and more than the red I owe MA, so I'm content. Lowered expectations really are the key to success.

As for Facebook, well, I'm not quite sure why I signed up. A few friends have mentioned it before and I was all whatever about it, and to be honest I still don't know how much I'll use it, or if I want to chat with my high school "boyfriend", but we'll see. I must kind of want to be found, since I signed up as my real name, not ccr in MA. (Don't be hurt: we have the blogosphere!)

Now for the "shorts" portion of today's entry. First, I love this story, of an 8-year-old with cystic fibrosis whose Make-A-Wish wish was to be signed by the Pittsburgh Penguins. They signed him to a contract, gave him a press conference, brought him in to practice, gave him a stall in the locker room and a jersey ... fantastic.

When you go to read about Dave Barry in the Inaugural Parade with the Lawn Rangers (seriously), do not miss the video. I laughed out loud. I absolutely love that they were in the parade.

Plus, I feel sorry for whoever marched behind them. That is a tough act to follow.

Meanwhile, I enjoyed this short piece in Bostonist on which states are ranked the most religious, not because I'm religious and not because I'm not, but for this line regarding how low the New England states ranked:
"The results were somewhat surprising to us, but maybe they're not counting sports as a religion in this survey."
Nice! Also this, to which I say, yes.

funny pictures of cats with captions
more animals

Though it's also nice to be able to come home late without having to really explain.

1 comment:

  1. Aah Facebook, I'm pretty sure I'm the only person with a pulse who does not have one. Congratulations on your taxes!!!!
    Thanks for the sock advice, I have been picking it up doing a row now and then and hoping if I keep the self imposed pressure low it will all come together. I need to finish this I love sock yarn way too much to not make socks.

    ReplyDelete