Sunday, February 22, 2009

Knitting is my Bag

A few years ago, probably not long after I started knitting socks, I bought a small project bag to carry ... well, small projects around in. It wasn't a premeditated purchase; I was in Fabric Place in Woburn one day, and happened to see some small bags from Lantern Moon. They were pretty, and not expensive, and seemed like they would be a good way to carry a sock in progress around with me. The one I got was like these, in a pale beige that's almost gold.

Overall, I've been happy with it, but it hasn't been without flaws. I guess in a way it's a design element, because it's hard to be surprised when a lightweight item doesn't survive heavy use indefinitely. Before I bought the needle-protector tubes, I would often find a needle poking through a bottom seam. Since the top is open, if I didn't tuck it around carefully, things would sometimes fall out. And since the bag is lightweight, it doesn't have much in the way of infrastructure, so the addition of something like a pattern would make the whole situation more precarious. I'm not saying that it wasn't a good bag, or a nice bag, but it wasn't exactly what I needed.

So, when I noticed some rather severe signs of wear and tear recently, I did not shed a tear. Nor did I waste any time looking around for another.

Where did I find it? On Etsy, of course. I searched for a sock knitting bag, wandered briefly, and liked what I saw here. It seemed to be well-made, it was pretty (lots of fabric options, too), and not very expensive. Win! I ordered it last weekend, and it arrived on Thursday. Given that Wisconsin is close to a thousand miles from here, I call that damn good service.


The bottom is so soft! Felt, I guess, but soft and not at all stiff.


The colors suit my sock-in-progress remarkably well.


There are even pockets around the inside to keep things separated. It has some structure, but is still light enough to fold and tuck into my purse.


And a drawstring top, thank you! I can loop the drawstrings over my wrist while knitting. Also, see the two white tabs on the left, top and bottom? I could run a strap or something similar through those if I wanted to.


So far, I'm more than happy with it.

Postscript about the sweater: it seems to have some sort of magic beyond getting me to buy it. Its color is almost impossible to capture on film. (If you will excuse the word film, given my use of a digital camera.)



At least these shots are less red. But they're not quite right, either. Hmm.

1 comment:

  1. The bag looked lovely, so I followed the link...after perusing several fabrics, I had it down to two choices. I settled on the cats one. I came back to tell you and belatedly noticed that the other one I had *almost* chosen, was the one you purchased.

    You have an excellent eye for color.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete