Saturday, November 01, 2008

Celebrating November 1

When I was a kid, Halloween was excitement. It was costumes and candy and possibilities. You didn't know what you'd get where, and all the costumed people could be anyone. It was safely scary.

As an adult, although I've dressed up the last few years (due to a combination of a costume-friendly workplace and owning a good perpetual costume), I haven't celebrated in any real sense. I don't have kids. I live in a building without kids, and no one knocks on our doors (one building, five doors on various sides, no one knows how to handle it). It's a candy holiday.

And if you're celebrating it as a candy holiday, the real celebration is November first, which by the way is also:
  • All Souls Day
  • Day of the Dead
  • the birthday of Al Arbour and Tie Domi (have to get the hockey in somehow)
  • World Vegan Day
  • the wedding anniversary of my friends J and J: happy 5th, guys!
  • the day that Halloween candy is 50% off
Thus, for $6.26:


Two bags of Ghirardelli Caramel Squares, in haunted packaging, 50% off plus I had a $1 coupon: $1.98
One bag of Mounds minis: $2.00
Two bags of Heath snack size: $2.28


Mmm. If I'm going to be depressed about life in general (seriously, when is something big and good going to happen?), chocolate is the way to go.

3 comments:

  1. What a great costume!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely lovely costume - I'm in envy state here although there would be nowhere to wear it.

    I stay away from candy clearance as a matter of self-preservation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chocolate caramel squares are my fave. I bought some just the other day. Love the 1/2 price candy!
    However, the stores should be getting in the cordial cherries for Christmas. YUM

    ReplyDelete