Wednesday, November 05, 2008

My Cat Condo


Let me show you it.

Seriously, auntiemichal asked about the "furniture" that the boys are seen lounging on in a recent post. The answer is twofold.

The heated pads that I bought recently are on my poor-man's version of cat furniture. In front of a couple of windows, I have a few of the giant Rubbermaid Totes stacked, with blankets on top. I get storage, the cats can curl up on something soft (and now warm) and look out the window, win-win.

The pictures of Pan in that entry, curled up on something pink with paw prints on it, is a kitty condo that we got (thanks, Mom!) about ten years ago. It's something like the photo above, only not nearly that big of course. Mine is more like this size (this may not be the same brand I got; I don't remember. It looks very similar). You put together the squares and there are little "hammocks" that hang in some of them.

Although in one sense it's well-made (since it has lasted this long), there are aspects of it that were disappointing. The hammocks were not sturdy enough for my cats, and had to be replaced in no time; fortunately, I was sharing a house with a friend with more sewing skills than I have. Then, on some of the pieces, the "carpet" covering started to shred at one end or the other practically right away, which I was not happy to see. On the other hand, with that white-trash tool, duct tape, it has lasted this long and the cats do love it. I appreciate that it can be set up different ways for different room configurations. Overall, thumbs up, just with reservations.

And there we are: more than you ever wanted to know!

Okay, I had to go looking for pictures. (And, of course, started bawling. My baby, he's so sweet, and he's sick, and does anyone have a tissue? Snork.)

It was August 1998, and Pan helped me put it together. See how he helped?


Forgive the poorly scanned photos. Someday I will master the scanner. Apparently, not today. If you click on them, you should see them bigger.

The boys playing, and cuddling, in the completed condo.

It must be love.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Great answer to my question. Thanks! Those are great pics of the cats as kittens; glad you included them.

    ReplyDelete