Thursday, November 13, 2008

Two-Day Report on Life at GenericCompanyName, Inc.

I'm in slightly better shape than last night, but I'm still pretty zonked. Working full days is so tiring! How did I ever do it? I don't think coherence is in the cards for tonight, so how about some random-order bullets?
  • I did not miss rush hour.
  • Getting up early really bites.
  • Everyone so far has been really nice. Very busy, hoping I'll get up to speed fast, but nice. A lot of people have told me what a good place it is to work.
  • I got my maybe-permanent desk today. Due to recent expansion, things are pretty crowded, so change is possible.
  • I'm in the manufacturing area, which is good and bad.
  • Bad because it's cold; it's next to the cleanroom, and there is a distinct breeze. Brrr. Dig out shawl and wrist warmers.
  • Good because it's peaceful. A few people in the general area, but no one right near me (which means I can cuss at my computer when necessary without feeling self-conscious, and I don't have to listen to others' phone conversations, work discussions, or anything else). Plus, the sound of the vents and things humming makes a nice white noise.
  • Bad because no food and drink allowed. I can (sniff!) give up snacking at my desk, but no water? I drink water all day long! I'm really hoping this rule will have some flex. (If I promise not to spill or spit on the labels, can I have a closed water bottle? Pleeeeeze?)
  • Speaking of snacks, here's what's in the break room: coffee, tea, cocoa, juice, soda, chips, cookies, candy bars ... take what you want.
  • Plus they give us lunch on Fridays. Tomorrow is an early Thanksgiving meal: turkey, stuffing, potatoes, etc.
  • I got a loaner laptop until mine gets in. And I'm getting a desktop machine for the labeling software.
  • I don't know what I'm doing yet. This is probably my least favorite part of a new job. That and trying to remember names.
  • Harold seriously hates me being gone all day. He pesters me for the first hour or two, love me love me love me, then falls asleep because it's exhausting, having to demand attention like that. Poor kitty. Pan isn't as bothered, since he's in his own world lately. He's not indifferent, exactly, just low-key.
  • Starting on a Wednesday is good. Tomorrow is Friday already! Whew.

3 comments:

  1. Ying and Yang in the workplace... free candy bars? Yet another arctic environment? It'll be nothing but better every day, I'm sure.

    I recommend kinnearing (sp?) your coworkers in those brief moments after re-introduction when you still remember their names to help connect the two.

    TGIF!!! (with Turkey!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No water at your desk? Oh that can bite but if they're selling whatever those labels go on as sterile I'm afraid that's the way of it. You'll just have to get up every 30 minutes for a drink. Can you chew gum to help with the dryness?

    At least GCN, Inc. has free food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The no food or drink thing might would be a dealbreaker for me. :)
    I totally know what you mean about the name thing. My new job has about 600 employees, all of which I have interaction with. Talks with my hubby (who works here) go something like this.
    Me: You know, that guy in the building by the entrance who has grey hair..
    Him: What's his name
    Me: I don't know, it wasn't on his hard hat.

    The only way I know their names is by looking on their hard hat. No name=I have no idea who they are. :)

    ReplyDelete