Friday, March 14, 2008

What do I have to do? What? Eat less??

If I had been asked, several months ago, which would be harder for me, controlling food intake or countering indolence, I believe I would have said that they were about equally hard for me. However, it now seems that when you are doing neither, it is easy to delude yourself.

Okay, myself. I have been working on The Plan for two months now, and without a doubt, it is easier for me to make myself exercise than it is to make myself eat less.

Starting the initiative after Christmas and all its temptations, after New Year's Eve partying, I thought it might be a trifle easier. Except that there was Valentine's candy everywhere, and before the candy hearts were gone, the Easter candy was out, and even before I had a single Mini Egg the Girl Scout cookies were in, and what's next?

Actually, I still haven't had a Mini Egg. However, I have had Easter candy. Yes. In fact, tonight I stopped at Walgreen's with a coupon from the Sunday paper of a couple of weeks ago, and a coupon from their circular, for Russell Stover eggs, and scored 6 (one-ounce) eggs for $1.02 (regular price 59 cents each). I couldn't make myself pass it up. (Three caramel, two marshmallow, and daringly, one Marshmallow & Caramel, in case you were wondering.) They're so good! But no wonder my clothing is not getting any looser.

For sadly, it is not. And I have been snacking less, deciding whether it's hunger or something else that's making me reach for food, trying to wait. It sucks. I have a very low tolerance for hunger.

I have been exercising! Even though I still don't like it, not one little bit. I've been walking twice a day at work, 15 minutes each, without missing one for several weeks. I've been upping my intensity, too, walking faster, and am thinking about adding arm weights (surely just carrying the extra weight would burn one or two more calories?). I've been riding the bike, though still only for 5 minutes at a time (I can't do longer; I can hardly walk after that as it is), four times a week, which has to count for something. I keep telling myself. I'm starting to get frustrated.

Not ready to give up. But frustrated.

2 comments:

  1. I'm de-lurking to say: Keep at it! You're making progress, even if you don't feel like you are! It's baby steps, and then... there you are! Progress! You can do it. I promise.

    (Of course, I realize you don't know me from Adam, but I've been reading your blog for a few months and I assure you that I am a good, intelligent person. And I know such things.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frustration is right! I'm right there with you, except for the exercise part, that is. But I will be! Back to the twice daily walks next week, rain, snow, or shine.

    I have difficulty passing up good deals, too. Whether I actually *need* the good deal or not appears to be irrelevant.

    My slogan still is: "Stubbornness pays off."

    ReplyDelete