Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sock One Almost Done; and, Shopping for dainty underthings: advice?

I was rather cranky today (too many jelly beans, too little sun, not warm enough, possible allergies, blah, blah, blah), and had to bite my tongue when, at lunch, it was implied that my sock is way too long and really rather ridiculously overlong and wasn't it ever going to be done already? (Perhaps I was reading a wee little bit into what was actually said. But really, I've said all along I want it to be a long/tall sock, and that if I finish it and feel it's too long, I'll peacefully rip back however far I need to, and I want it long, do you hear? Long!)

Now, I would be the first to say that it looks funny when not on a foot.


But as I've mentioned frequently, I Have Been Trying It On at regular intervals, and it fits my foot rather well. Not perfectly, but for first time with this yarn, first time with this pattern, I'm very pleased with how it's going.

And it is Not too long, thank you.


The inspector agrees with me.


Yes, that will do. It is acceptable. You may pamper me whilst wearing that sock.


Honestly, I think it's because when it's off the foot, the ribbing pulls in, so it looks narrower and thus out of proportion in its length. Because it really fits, just like I want it to.

Just because I'm oversensitive doesn't mean I'm wrong. I know when a sock fits me. (And when the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.)

*****************

Now, can we discuss bra shopping? Because I don't even know where to start, but I bet you do, you clever people!

For years and years, I've worn "bras" that aren't technically deserving of the name. They're microfiber, over-the-head, size XL (so I don't even know what my true bra size is). They're comfortable, which was and is my first consideration, but they're not so much with the support. Obviously, I've been okay with that, or I would have switched long ago. It's only recently that I started to think it might be nice if, for example, my chest did not let the world know when I was cold. A little more between me and the world, is what I'm thinking. But not too much support, i.e., constriction, because it's going to be weird to change. I didn't like underwires in years gone by, but it's a long time since I wore anything but these. Has the technology improved, or am I deluding myself?

So, what do I do? Do I go somewhere to get properly fitted? Where? Or do I just suck it up, set aside a day, go to a store with a wide selection of sizes, and try them on until I figure it out or I can take no more?

I'm thinking about this now because I have a planned expedition to The Mall on Saturday, to get shoes and perhaps a purse to go with the outfit I'm wearing to the event I'm attending in England. I need shoes that go with it, that are comfortable enough to wear all day, and that hopefully I can get a lot of wear out of, beyond this outfit and this trip, since I'm sure they won't be cheap.

Shoes are hard, aren't they? I have wide feet, which makes it harder. I do not mean shoes that are just non-sneaker-y enough that I can wear them to the office even when it isn't casual Friday. It would be nice if I could wear them to the office without having my feet more nicely dressed than the rest of me, but what I actually Need are comfortable shoes I could wear to a funeral (knock on wood that I don't need them much, or soon).

But wait, I got off track. The point is, should I try a department store or other mall store for bras, or break these into two expeditions? What do you think?

***************

Have you ever had a weight-watching strategy backfire on you? This morning, when I was disturbed by my inability to stop eating Jelly Bellys, I decided that the time had come for drastic measures, and asked my friend Google how many calories were involved. I thought that I could strengthen my incredibly weak willpower with a harsh number.

It turns out that each one has four calories. Four! That's not scary! Granted, I ate a lot of them, but even so, that number will not help me keep my hands out of the basket. Curses.

3 comments:

  1. First of all, I would like to say in my defense that when I teased about the socks being "knee-highs", it was a "good thing." They really are amazing and I am truly impressed with your latest endeavor. Read "envious" into any remark I make about your lovely socks.

    And truly, I do appreciate the help with the jelly beans. REALLY I appreciate.

    And the bra thing? Go to Lady Grace and be properly fitted. The Burlington Mall has a store, I think. Uncomfortable with another human handling your body, yes. Worth it? Absolutely! Proper foundations make clothes fit better and therefore look better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long socks are good - that's why I knit toe up when I bite the bullet and make socks.

    Kali has mentioned Lady Grace and Google tells me of two other places in Eastern Mass - Intimacy in Copley Plaza Boston and Night and Day Lingerie in Andover and one other place. Both are web searchable I believe. I have been fit at the L'eggs, Haines, Bali Outlet in Brattleboro VT, so if there's one near you that's an option too.

    Bonne chance! It's a real trip
    ;->

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went back to the google page and found this: http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=bras&find_loc=Boston+MA

    reviews of various places! hth and fwiw

    ReplyDelete