Sunday, March 30, 2008

Shopping report

First, thanks for the advice about bra shopping. There's a Lady Grace not that far from me, and I'll start with them. I didn't go yesterday, but I will go sometime soon, depending on their hours and mine. Chances are, I'll report back!

Meanwhile, yesterday's hunt went well. I have shoes:


And I know they go with the outfit, since I wore it shopping. (I didn't want there to be any question about length of the dress, etcetera.) They're pretty comfortable, and they were on sale: score! There were actually two pair I liked equally, and having ruled out any other decision-making factors like fit, comfort, how well they went with the outfit, or what else they could be worn with, I got these because they were less expensive (or more on sale). I'll start wearing them around the house here and there, then to work, to get my feet used to them before the trip.

What else did I get? (Besides Chick-fil-A for lunch, and Haagen Dazs for a pick-me-up?) Well, uncharacteristically, this:


Yup. That's make-up.

I know, me? But, first off, I'm willing to wear a little for special events*, and second, some of that in the picture was the free bonus stuff. We really just bought this:


*I did in fact already own some, which I bought for my cousin's wedding. In 2005. (Having just done that math, I threw it out today. I understand you're not supposed to keep the stuff that long.)

And my friend assures me that I can just do the "it's not really foundation, it's more like tinted moisturizer" and the undereye concealer, and don't have to use the lip gloss, eyeshadow, and blush.

Though we bought them anyway. You know. Just in case.

I'll have to play around with it before I go, to get used to the idea. I'm never going to be a makeup-every-day person, but I guess I could wear it more often than almost never.

Actually, I did have a somewhat bad makeup-related experience ten years ago. I was in another cousin's wedding, which was an overall wonderful experience by the way, and a problem relative* (doesn't everyone have at least one of those?) told me OVER and OVER again how Wonderful I looked with makeup on. In fact, since I was wearing a dress someone else chose, with my hair done by someone else, and makeup professionally done, it wasn't so much of a compliment to me, but to the committee. One iteration I could have smiled through and dismissed, but when she Kept saying it, well, I think it cemented my already strong feeling of comfort with not wearing makeup.

*I'd like to add that she's a relative by marriage, though I'm not sure why I want that to be clear. I adore other relatives by marriage, and am tepid at best to certain blood relatives, so what does it matter? I don't know. My mind works in mysterious ways, when it works at all. Moving on.

Now, a final word from Knitting. I know I've been saying for a while now that the first of the Banish February socks is almost done, but here's how much yarn is left:


Yes, I believe tomorrow night's stitch and bitch may see its end. Maybe. No promises.

4 comments:

  1. I used to wear makeup when I was younger. Then I had a bunch of jobs where it made no sense--working outside, for instance, or with kids, or outside AND with kids. And now, honestly, I'm so freaked by the strange-sounding ingredients, and it's not really in my budget anyway. I wonder if it would make a huge difference? I think if I'm not willing to dye my grey hair, makeup won't help a bit.

    And I have Difficult Relatives of all stripes--through marriage, through blood. Can't really pick either, can we? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh! Nice Shoes! Good score on that purchase.

    I rely on make-up to see my face. I have more base skin color these days contrasting younger rampant anemia that made me look ultra pale on healthy days and grey on the not-so-healthy days. I can't readily notice my eyebrows without some touches of brow pencil. My eyes are small and made smaller behind my glasses, so mascera is a requirement. My lips are unevenly toned and tend to chap, so I wear lipstick (which only looks good within the first two hours of wearing it--after that it bleeds, feathers, and gets on my teeth if I reapply it).

    I do not notice make-up on others, unless it is exceptionally well done or excessive (or both). I wish no one could recognize me without mine on. I feel different with it on (and off).

    Your committee wedding get-up that got the repeated comments? They just buffed your shine. It was still mostly still you shining through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun makeup! God I love makeup. Also, cute shoes! I have some really similar ones from Nine West.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember ditching t-shirts and baggy pants for a shirt and sweater for a school event when I was about 17. A teacher cornered me in the hall and declaimed loudly how pretty I looked, how nice, in the fabcy clothes I had on.

    What was I, ugly in the clothes I loved that felt like me?

    In a madras skirt and yellow short-sleeved sweater, I felt like a female impersonator.

    I love makeup. I also like being comfortable and being myself. I saw pics of you at that wedding, and you did indeed look very nice, but I like you best dressed as yourself.

    ReplyDelete